1925 Mercury Dime. Die clash?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Carlos Arriaga, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Carlos Arriaga

Carlos Arriaga Senior Member

I had this Dime for more than 20 years. Thinking that. All those lines were simply some scratches. "BUT" know I see those are "ARTISTIC LINES" o "ARTISTIC SCRATCHES" what ever sound better for you. My only problem is to identify if the Wing in the Mercury is the Right o is the Left. Thank for your opinion. 115.jpg 114.jpg 113.jpg 112.jpg 111.jpg

swamp yankee and Daniel B like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

i'd say the merc is PMD an the half could be a counterstamp,,IMO

4. Jim M

Jim M Ride it like ya stole it

Scratches. PMD. on the Dime. The Half is supposed to have the designers Initials on it.

Mickey59 likes this.
  5. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Post mint damage, you CAN'T get a die clash from two different denominations, at least none known since the 'midnight minter' of 1857/8

6. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Ken: That is the designer's initials.

Insider likes this.
  7. Carlos Arriaga

Mr Ken454 and Mr Jim M; thank a lot for the use of your time in that "careful" examination. By the way, The 1/2 dollar doesn't have nothing wrong.

8. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

oh ok did'nt know they were incuse ... like i keep tellin my kid, can learn something new every day..... so what year is that half?

9. harris498

harris498 Accumulator

Walkers were minted from 1916-1947.

Who was the 'Midnight Minter'?

10. AWORDCREATED

AWORDCREATED Hardly Noticeable

I'd have to say what you put that black polygon around is associated with those other scratches. they even seem to line up with them across liberty.

11. Carlos Arriaga

Awordcreated. In the beginning I though "those scratches" on the polygon were associated with the Designer initials of the 1/2 dollar. BUT NOT. are lines associated with the left leg and the tail. I still doing some more over lays. But I have most clear it's a portion of the left wing. SECOND PICTURE give better aligment of that left wing. ONLY, ONLY, ONLY the second picture give TRUE POSITION of the left wing, the left leg and the inverted V split of the 2 legs. All the other pictures are garbage.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  12. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

OMG! OMG! You surely have to be kidding . This is absolutely not a die clash coin , and I believe it would be impossible for a half dollar die to clash with a dime die. What you have here is a severly scratched dime and nothing else..

13. Carlos Arriaga

This dime was used for thousand and thousand of persons. And every body saw those lines. "like scratches". 1 more thinking that way; "no problem". There's the inverted V where the two legs split. 14In verted V split.jpg

swamp yankee likes this.
  14. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

15. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

I want what he's smoking o_O

16. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

Or what he is sniffing up his nose , I could use some of that .

The Op sure has a wild imagnation to dream up a scenario like this one and the other wild things on his other threads. I wonder what he is going to see next , I'm guessing since it is close to Christmas he may see Santa and the reindeer on one of his unusal beat up coins. lol

17. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Ok members, insult the coin all you want, but not the individuals. ( as per rules)

Carlos, assuming for argument your theory, the lines and angles you point out with arrows would have to be the same length and angle. Hard to tell length, but the angles are definitely not the same, being much more acute on the dime than the half. Perhaps somewhere along the way someone did it to sell, but it is as Rascal said in post 11.

18. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

Damaged plain and simple. Essentially 0% chance that the anomaly you are pointing out is a mint error.

rascal likes this.
  19. Carlos Arriaga

Those artistic lines. What you call "scratches"; were made by Mr Adolph A Weinman. I did a lay out all ready with transparent plastic (draw by hand). The reason I started thinking about this relation was because. IT'S THE SAME TYPE OF LINE USED IN THE SKIRT OF LADY LIBERTY. On the oberse of Half dollars on that year 1925. Numers.JPG

20. jay4202472000

jay4202472000 Well-Known Member

I'm confused. So are you saying that Weinman actually carved this dime like a hobo nickel?

21. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

ok so now you say that the "lines" were made after the coin was struck, therefore it is post mint damage and not a clash, and there is no way to prove weinman made them without documentation, and do you really believe someone with his skill would do such sloppy work as what was done to that dime??

Draft saved Draft deleted