1925 Ft Vancouver - Which one do you think I should buy?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Beefer518, Oct 13, 2017.

?

Which would you rather own?

1. Left coin

10.0%
  2. Right coin

90.0%
  1. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

Both of these are graded by NGC, and both are a 63. I did a side by side zoomed comparison with Lightroom, and from what I can tell, both have the same level of detail.

The coin on the left, IMO, lacks great eye appeal, but has very clean surfaces. The coin on the right, again in my opinion, has great eye appeal, but looks to have hairlines in the left field. I'm trying to figure out if the eye appeal of the right coin outweighs the hairlines, or are they too obvious/distracting? The left coin's toning is not very attractive, and looks like it's a dirty coin, so could the inverse be true of this one, where the clean surfaces made up for the lack of eye appeal?

These pics are off of NGC's site, and are not the seller's pics. In the coin on the right, the seller's pics do not show the hairlines. That makes me wonder a bit if maybe they were on the slab, and the seller polished them off? I do have that question in to the seller, and I'm waiting for a response.

Reverse sides so no concerns on either coin, and look the same as their respective obverses.

Cost difference is negligible, so that is not a factor.

Thanks!
    vanc (Custom).jpg

ddddd likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

The right obviously. Left is uggles

4. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

I guess Lefty isn't a candidate for dip?

5. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Oh and those are probably die polish lines on the right one. If they were hairlines that pronounced it probably wouldn't have been straight graded

Beefer518 likes this.
  6. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Correct. Looks like it already has and that was the best outcome

7. Beefer518

I think you're right. I looked at it again at 300%, and the lines go under UNITED, and I see no lines on the good Dr.'s profile.

Cascade likes this.
  8. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

9. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

right as well

10. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Which ever one you like. That is why my wife knows better than to buy me coins for Christmas.

11. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

The coin on the left seems to have less wear.
    The right has the best chance at selling.
    JMO

12. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

Both been cleaned ....

Paddy54 likes this.
  13. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Neither ....the hunt continues.....

14. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

I agree with Paddy. I would keep looking for the best, problem free example you can afford. This isn't a particularly rare or seldom offered coin.

In the long run, you'll have a coin you really like and a problem free coin will be easier to sell when the time comes. IMO, if you say to yourself, "this is nice, but.....", it's time to move on.

Two Dogs likes this.
  15. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

Can we see the reverse?

16. onecenter

onecenter Member

I agree. Be patient and look elsewhere.

Two Dogs likes this.
  17. GoldBug999

GoldBug999 Well-Known Member

If you must pick one, then the one on the right wins. But, as mentioned, I agree that it will be better to wait and get another coin without the distractions these two examples have.

18. David Setree Rare Coins

David Setree Rare Coins Well-Known Member

19. Mike at APMEX

Mike at APMEX Member

Vancouvers often come with very flashy luster. It's a coin, that even in MS63, can have great eye appeal. If you arent enamored with either, then pass and look for one that appeals to you. "Buy what YOU like."

Dougmeister likes this.
  20. Beefer518

I ended up getting the one on the right. I really like the color/toning, and the price was good. I was mostly worried about the hairlines, but I'm convinced their die polishing marks. I do have a return period, so if I end up not liking it in hand, I'll return it.

Thanks for all of you for your input!

Dougmeister, CircCam and Danjohnson like this.
  21. Bill1517

Bill1517 Active Member

The one on the right

Draft saved Draft deleted