1925 Cent with strange defect

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Inspector43, May 24, 2019.

1. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

I have a 1925 P LWC with a location that looks like it was pinched with a pliers. But the rim is not as affected as it should be and some original lettering, IN, looks to be still in place. I can't declare it to be PMD and would like others to look at it with some objectivity. I have studied it for a long time and if it is PMD I am not offended. 1925 Lam 1.jpg 1925 Lam 2.jpg 1925 Lam 3.jpg 1925 Lam 4.jpg 1925 Lam 5.jpg 1925 Lam 6.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

DEFDAM - Definitely Damaged! :yack:

The word IN was sqooshed down.. Or is it squashed down?

Inspector43 likes this.
  4. Inspector43

In NY it would be squashed and here in TX we would say sqooshed. Would the rims at the ends of the sqoosh get much of their natural height back just from 50+ years of circulation?

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

"Smooshed" ? "Squished" ? "Squeezed" ?

Chris

Inspector43 likes this.
  6. Inspector43

Thanks Chris, but I am sticking with sqooshed.

7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

squoosh
    verb
    \ ˈskwu̇sh , ˈskwüsh\
    squooshed; squooshing; squooshes
    Definition of squoosh

: squash

Chris

Inspector43 likes this.
  8. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

9. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

the pressure was put across the coin.
    and it only affects the impacted area.
    As you may notice, which I think I see in your pictures, the area above the squished part is pushed out a tad .. ie, the coin is no longer as round as it once was.

I'd take a wild guess and say someone used regular anvil shears (not parallel) a few times on it which would also flatten the opposite side some too, which it seems to have some flattening albeit the flat part distributes the pressure across a wider area in relation to metal and not a flower stalk. Which reminds me, I have to continue plating bulbs in my front yard .. I'm rebuilding my butterfly/hummingbird flower garden. :) from time to time I attempt to use my cutting shears to cut thin wire and metal stuff to similar results.

Inspector43 likes this.
  10. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I think the correct term here is damaged.

Inspector43 likes this.
  11. Inspector43

My wife planted a bunch of Milk Weed (the flower kind) and the Monarchs are crazy about them. We had a bunch of cocoons and new butterflies. Not near as many Hummingbirds this year.
    Oh, BTW, thanks for the feedback on the damaged coin. I assumed it to be PMD but had no idea how it could happen.

Clawcoins likes this.
  12. Inspector43

Yes, but, in jest, the damage was caused by squashing.

13. Collecting Nut

Haha Squashing is what you do to any form of squash or by playing the game of squash. Hehe

14. Collecting Nut

Are you aware that the Monarch population is in decline due to the loss of milkweeds? A monarch caterpillar feeds solely on the milkweed and that is the perferred plant for an adult to lay their eggs. Adults prefer the milkweed nectar but they will feed off of nectar from other plants. A beautiful caterpillar. IMG_3173.JPG

Clawcoins and Inspector43 like this.
  15. Inspector43

Yes, my wife is putting in as many milkweed as she can. The plants have been hard to find here in South Central Texas. We have found cocoons on yard decorations, the fence and other plants.

Collecting Nut likes this.
  16. Inspector43

Well, I'm just not very politically correct.

17. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

Thanks for the tip. Think I'll try to find some milk weed.
    My area is only about 8 x 8 but the other year before it went into decline I had hummingbirds and butterflys. When I was young in the 60s/early 70s we lived next to an old, defunct orchard. I recall thousands of monarchs in the summer times. Now I'm lucky to see a few flutter past at a time.

In the winter time the squirrels like to dig up bulbs for food. I'll cover them with chickenwire or something this year.

Inspector43 likes this.
  18. Shrews1994

Shrews1994 Collecting is my passion.

Or smashed

19. Inspector43

My wife just took this photo of a new Monarch cocoon. On the dog ear. 20190529_153949.jpg

Mernskeeter and Collecting Nut like this.
  20. Collecting Nut

A strange place for it but I think it's cute. Thank her for taking it and thank you for sharing. :)

Inspector43 likes this.
  21. Inspector43

Well, it's not a real dog. It's a concrete one she just painted.

Draft saved Draft deleted