1924 Wheat Penny Error?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Abigail2017, Dec 6, 2016.

1. Abigail2017

Abigail2017 New Member

I recently came across this1924 Wheat Penny that looks as if they mispelled UNUM as UKUM. Any idea if its valuable? Or am I just seeing things wrong? Appreciate any feedback. 20161205_214510.jpg 20161205_214454.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Abigail2017

Abigail2017 New Member

I recently came across this1924 Wheat Penny that looks as if they mispelled UNUM as UKUM. Any idea if its valuable? Or am I just seeing things wrong? Appreciate any feedback. View attachment 561666 View attachment 561667

4. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

welcome to CT abigail, i'd say the coin took a hit sometime in the past and moved the metal, copper is fairly soft and can move easily when it takes a hit...

5. Abigail2017

Abigail2017 New Member

Thank you so much for the reply. Appreciate it:)

6. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

It is simple. The letter N in UNUM took a hit which misshaped it.
    This is not an error but what we call PMD - Post (After it left the mint) Mint Damage

There is no letter K used on the Reverse or Obverse of any Cent.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
    BadThad likes this.
  7. Abigail2017

Abigail2017 New Member

Thank you for your help.

8. chevellejdt69

chevellejdt69 New Member

I came across a 1924 penny with the letters cen stamped across the obverse side across Lincolns head. Any suggestions
    Who i should contact to find rarity of this coin.

9. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Create your very own unique thread with pictures. Is the word CEN incused into the Obverse and backwards?

10. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

They can't misspell a word (UNUM) since it is engraved in the die, and hundreds of thousands of coins would have this error. They must test the die with some test pieces before they put it into production.

11. chevellejdt69

chevellejdt69 New Member

[QUOitdt69, post: 2899944, member: 90922"]I came across a 1924 penny with the letters cen stamped across the obverse side across Lincolns head. Any suggestions
    Who i should contact to find rarity of this coin.[/QUOTE]
    Yes it is howevrr

12. chevellejdt69

chevellejdt69 New Member

Yes it is however I'm not familiar with phones more less coins so I will have to figure out how to send a picture to my post.

13. Youngcoin

Youngcoin Everything Collector

The same way you did above.

Thanks,
    Jacob

Draft saved Draft deleted