1924-S Peace dollar from the Redfield collection

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by James Rohleder, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Can anyone help determine the value, the grade, and the toning/color of this 1924-S Peace dollar from the Redfield collection in a cracked Capture_03125.JPG Capture_03126.JPG red Paramount holder with a MS65 designation. Have read some interesting info on internet but can't find much sales info. Thanks in advance.

swamp yankee likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

Info from the internet: (don't shoot the messenger)

"== Answer == While these dollars generally carry a small premium over non-Redfield dollars, they are often seriously over-graded in the Paramount slabs. So even though it may say MS-65 on the holder, most often it's at least a couple grades lower in reality, making it worth significantly less than MS-65 values. Just like any other silver dollar, value will depend on the individual coin."

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Of course, there is also the possibility that the crack occurred when someone removed the original coin and replaced it with a worse-looking specimen.

Chris

Tater and swamp yankee like this.
  5. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

That coin, though a desirable date/mm appears to have some problems. Might be a candidate for conservation and reslabbing. Don't count on it being an MS65, though. Redfield coins in those Paramount holders are generally overgraded and way overpriced, to boot.

tpsadler and swamp yankee like this.
  6. tpsadler

tpsadler Numismatist

This holder is not helping this coin even a little bit. Paramount Holders usually are over graded. It is too hard for me to see what is the holder and what are the coin scratches. I think it has potential to be Unc :)

7. ddddd

ddddd Member

Even as a low MS coin (i.e. ms 60-62), that is still likely a 200-300 value. The redfield holder increases the premium, but the crack hurts it. Also the toning is not appealing, but the luster is nice. I'd be surprised if this didn't get bid up to at least 250 on eBay (not suggesting that you try that).

By the way, my guess at a grade would be in the MS 62 - MS 63 range.

8. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

Hard to tell what's tone and what's contact marks. Could see it going 63 but I'd send it to ncs first.

9. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

As a former Peace dollar collector - I find the toning unattractive and I would be concerned about that green stuff...is that on the coin or the holder? I can't believe someone would pay $250.

medjoy likes this.
  10. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

The mint mark looks like a "D" to me

Jwt708 likes this.
  11. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Paramount over graded these for a retailer that purchased a large hoard of Redfield Dollars. Yours is more in the MS62/63 range, a huge price difference. dwhiz is correct, it's a 1924-D, not an S, that also lowers the value. I collect Peace dollars and I personally do not like the toning on this coin. I do not buy hoarded name coins, I buy the coin. The cracked case doesn't help as the coin may have been switched at some point. If this is a recent purchase, I'd contact the seller and try to send it back for a full refund. Sorry to be negative but it's what I see.

12. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

That is bound to be an S. Take another look and expand the picture. The 1924 Peace was only minted in Philly and Frisco.

Successful conservation and reslabbing at MS62-63 (best case scenario IMHO) would produce a $350 to $450 coin. NGC would reslab as "Redfield" and some buyers might pay a premium for that (I wouldn't).

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
    Markus1959 and medjoy like this.
  13. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm wrong but I didn't think Denver minted any peace dollars that year?

Tater and medjoy like this.
  14. tpsadler

tpsadler Numismatist

I think @Collecting Nut needs to look closer that is a 1924S and there were not any 1924D Peace Dollars minted. At least legally :)

15. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I finally got a better view of the mintmark and it is an S. Sure looks like a D until I blew it up. My mistake on the mintmark.

Santinidollar likes this.
  16. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Nothing against the op , but I wouldn't be a buyer of that coin no matter what collection it came from. No way a 65,looks to have been cleaned, the toning is unattractive .
    However to each their own . All of us collectors have pulled the trigger on a coin that most probably we shouldn't have. But that's part of the hobby sometimes you hit a home run , sometimes you strike out.

Markus1959 likes this.
  17. tpsadler

tpsadler Numismatist

Looks to me that is a Las Vegas Coin .. :) Will have to send it in to see if you got the Gold Mine or the Shaft :)

Draft saved Draft deleted