1924 P Peace Dollar. Natural Toning or Artificial Toning? Your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by jake1932, Feb 21, 2018.

?

Natural Tone (NT) or Artificial Tone (AT)

1. Natural Tone

17 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Artificial Tone

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. jake1932

jake1932 Active Member

Looking at a few Peace Dollars I have had for a while. Came across this 24P. Do you guys think it is natural or artificial? IMG_2535.JPG IMG_2537.JPG IMG_2538.JPG

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Wow, looks like it’s growing hair on the obverse...nice and crusty. I’ll go with NT. Where did you store it?

jake1932 likes this.
  4. jake1932

jake1932 Active Member

I've just had it for 4 years looks like. In that same holder in the pic. I don't think it has changed much since i got it. But I cant remember 4 days ago much less 4 years.

5. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

I'm going to say nt also...nothing looks off to suspect anything other nice coin

jake1932 likes this.
  6. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Looks legit to me

jake1932 likes this.
  7. 352sdeer

352sdeer Collecting Lincoln cents for 50 years!

That coin has been way OVER DIPPED! Any toning after dipping was probably applied by the Doctor trying to make the botched dipping job look better. Unfortunately the coin was dipped to DEATH. Just what I see. Reed and Sparkles the Unicorn.
    0D3F51AB-4F7C-4627-B14E-FD63D16D3EB9.jpeg
    C66F92A8-5AA6-402C-84EC-1A1126D86F8A.jpeg
    B11F778E-8870-4617-94A6-C784F8D195E8.jpeg

8. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Natural toning, and the coin has not been dipped. Nice original luster that shows up better on the reverse that was protected from oxidizing atmosphere.

coinsareus10 likes this.
  9. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

I don't see the over dipping.
    NT

10. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Sure looks natural to me. No way of knowing how it was stored for the decades prior to you getting it, but those holders with the paper inserts are known for being conducive to toning.

As for the dipping mentioned, I'd be very surprised if it had not been dipped at some point in its life - but over-dipped ? Certainly not in my opinion as the coin obviously has much luster remaining.

The very definition of over-dipped is that all the luster has been stripped away.

coinsareus10 likes this.
  11. asheland

asheland The Silver Lion

12. asheland

asheland The Silver Lion

Natural toning. Nice coin. :)

13. RickO

RickO Active Member

Natural tarnish.. probably been dipped.... and poorly rinsed.

14. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I concur, natural enough to definitely be market acceptable.

Yes, dipped coins may have a washed out and grainy look. However, I don't see that on this coin. What I'm seeing here, especially on the reverse, is a coarse texture due to a late die state. The metal flowing across the die has created the strong flowlines (which will give it luster). There is a difference between the grainy appearance of the coins you posted and the late die state of the OP's coin.

15. mitch721

mitch721 New Member

Definitely NT. Unfortunately, a few too many bag marks on the cheek may affect the
    grade. However, the toning is very attractive. I recently came across a few Peace $ and some silver Commems that were in the blue Whitman folders for several years.
    Their appearance is identical to your coin, with the toning only on one side. I'm going to send a few to be graded. Not certain whether I'll choose NGC or PCGS.

jake1932 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted