1923 Unc Peace Key ?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Silverhouse, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Silverhouse

Silverhouse Well-Known Member

I am not familiar with all the keys in this series, save the 1921 and 1928. All the other date and mint mark keys, I always forget what they are.

I bought this coin from a local coin shop dealer for $22. It was housed in cellophane with the company name Littleton on it. I knew it was a littletoncoin when I bought it it was marked uncirculated and I thought for $22 I couldn't go wrong. It was a 1923 Philadelphia peace dollar

Well a few days ago, I went into a local vintage shop, they sell old toys and records, CDs and if you look you might be able to find a coin or two.

Getting to the point, I showed the owner the uncirculated 1922 peace dollar, I was expecting to sell it to him for around what I paid for it at least. Well, he went to go look online and look up the coin, when he came back he informed me that it was a key date. I asked him if he was sure as it was only a 1923 Philadelphia and at 30 million minted, I didn't think that constituted as a key date coin.

The only thing I can think of that he thinks the coin is a 1923 D, but I don't think that really is a key date either is it? Ultimately he bought the coin for $40. I know the 1923 D can get pricey and it is a better date coin.

But the 1923 Philadelphia? Nothing special about that right? Did I miss something or is he wrong? Here is the coin that was sold. 20171220_114020-1.jpg 20171220_114051-1.jpg 20171220_114132.jpg 20171220_114035.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Right, nothing special.

Silverhouse likes this.
  4. mac266

mac266 Well-Known Member

You were right, I'm not sure why he got excited. That old lady has a lot of bag marks, too!

Youngcoin and Silverhouse like this.
  5. Silverhouse

It' good to know I know a tiny bit about coins. LOL

6. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

you should have sold it

7. Silverhouse

I did sell it to him for 40 dollars.

8. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I bet he had bad eyesight and thought he was buying a 1928.

Bilbo1, LA_Geezer, TopcatCoin and 2 others like this.
  9. Silverhouse

I would accept that explanation but I told him several times it was a 1923 Philadelphia, it wasn't a key date coin. He insisted I was wrong so I quit arguing, LOL

mac266 likes this.
  10. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

If i were you, from now on i would give him 1st shot at every coin you intend to sell.

Bilbo1, mac266, mikenoodle and 2 others like this.
  11. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

Maybe a VAM coin? Die gouge?

12. Silverhouse

There is nothing special about this coin from what I see, but apparently the seller, despite my claims insisted I was wrong. See, sometimes The Twilight Zone visits us now and again,lol.

13. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

There's a clear die gouge under "dollar"...isn't it?

14. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I have ten full rolls of uncirculated “key date” coins if that’s the case.

green18 likes this.
  15. mynamespat

mynamespat Well-Known Member

Would you care to know this buyers location? ;P

Maybe he looked it up on ebay and saw the ads: "1923 Key date very rare"

mac266 and mikenoodle like this.
  16. HAB Peace 28 2.0

HAB Peace 28 2.0 The spiders are as big as the door

Yeah if it's an MS 68. Than it would be a key date.

17. Silverhouse

But this is a Littleton Coin remember? It was marked ms-60 in the cellophane package. so highly doubtful ms-68. If there's a die gouge great but $40 worth of a die gouge? It's a 1923 Philadelphia, not 22 as stated above. But that is the common 1923 Philadelphia, nothing special about it, except to that guy who bought it.

HAB Peace 28 2.0 likes this.
  18. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

MS-60 is about right.

19. HAB Peace 28 2.0

HAB Peace 28 2.0 The spiders are as big as the door

I know. I was just joking around.

Silverhouse likes this.
  20. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

good move

21. Silverhouse

I recently went back to this shop where I sold this coin. You were right C-B-D, he did think it was a 1928. Which tells me he did not listen at ALL to what I said when I kept telling him it was a 1923.

mac266 and C-B-D like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted