1923 S peace coin

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Caledoneus, Jul 22, 2018.

1. Caledoneus

Caledoneus New Member

I have a 1923 S peace coin. I am looking for feedback to see if it is worth anything and should I get it graded. Hopefully the photos I took will do it some justice.

Thank you,
    Caledoneus

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

This is from USACOINbook

upload_2018-7-22_22-38-34.png

That's really bad lighting in the image. take another in a really good lit area. especially so you don't use the cell phone's lit.

your coin looks pretty dirty. XF maybe at best excluding the surface grime and grit ?? (I'm not good at grading)
    but depending upon how much you spend on grading (say PCGS $50+) you can see on the chart above that it would cost you far more to grade the coin then it's actual worth. But others are much better at grading and grading costs then me.

It would benefit you if you learned about grading. Learned about environment damage, PMD, et all and put it all together to understand which coins should be graded or not. If you want a nice example of a 1923 S I recommend buying a graded coin .. let someone else take the hit in grading costs.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
  4. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

@Clawcoins is spot on. You hold a cool piece of history. Just not one with great intrinsic value. If it holds some special sentimental value then sure, have it graded and protected. If your intent is marketing the dollar, you will not recoup the cost of grading. Let alone make anything on the old dollar.

5. bear32211

bear32211 Always Learning

More pictures please with better lighting it's impossible to help you with any kind of possible grade. Also different angles obverse and reverse.

6. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

1. Welcome to CT. As mentioned above, grading it would be costly and the only benefit I can see is that it would be sealed in a slab. You can buy an Air-Tite capsule (https://www.air-tites.com/air-tite_coin_supplies.htm#.W1YiSi2ZOL4) to protect it and still be able to handle and view it, cheaper than having a TPG slab it. Just my opinion.

7. Ron W

Ron W Member

Put your coin in a seal tite, looks like about a Fine on a good day Value = $ 25- $ 35

8. Caledoneus

Caledoneus New Member

Thank you all for the input and advice and my apologies for the quality of the photos.

Draft saved Draft deleted