1923-S buffalo nickel worth the purchase?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by AirborneReams, Sep 22, 2020.

1. AirborneReams

AirborneReams Supporter! Supporter

416FB2EE-B591-4D07-B64F-0381B58CB485.png 588E43CA-D395-4F43-90F0-2A75C8A9E451.png Hello all!
    I’m attaching some photos of a nice looking buffalo nickel but they’re asking 179$ for the coin. I was hoping to make a few dollars off of it here down the road as I sell coins when I’m ready to. There is a small blue spot on the date though I believe corrosion? Is this still worth a purchase or should it be a hard pass and if so what’s a fair offer I should send for the coin? Thanks for all your guys help!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Not with the green on it. No thanks but that's just my opinion.

jafo50 and AirborneReams like this.
  4. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

It's a very common date that's tough in high end VF.

The green might come off with olive oil but the coin seems almost fully priced even with the spot gone.

I'm no expert on buffalo pricing but if you don't like the coin now you won't like it after you buy it either.

AirborneReams likes this.
  5. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Green might come off with acetone or verdicare but it’s all the money. I’d pass

6. LRC-Tom

LRC-Tom Been around the block...

This is unusually well-struck for a 23-S. Before you buy, take a very careful look under high magnification at the S, to be as sure as possible that it's not an added mint mark. From the picture, I'm a bit skeptical. If it's genuine, it's a solid XF, and the price is quite fair. I think the green, if it's soft and waxy, would probably come off with a little acetone treatment.

7. AirborneReams

now that you said something the mint Mark does look fairly strong..

8. AirborneReams

Your probably right.. if I’m asking for advice on it it’s probably a sign right there

Mike Davis likes this.
  9. LRC-Tom

LRC-Tom Been around the block...

I looked at the picture once again, compared to some higher-grade examples currently on eBay A couple other things now disturb me. Typically (but not always) the 19 on a 23-S is thicker and a bit shallower than the 23. This one may exhibit a bit of those characteristics, but not much. Typically the S is small and shallow. This one is tall and strong. And usually a coin with almost no wear exhibits a fair amount of luster...this one looks dull. In case you're still on the fence, I say PASS.

Draft saved Draft deleted