1923 Australia Half Penny

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by davidh, Jul 17, 2015.

1. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

I was going through my junk foreign coins and checking for any value when I think I may have struck gold. I have no idea where most of these came from, they just accumulated over the years.

The one that has me excited now is a 1923 Australian Half Penny. It is apparently one of the key dates for the series with an estimated mintage of 20,000. I haven't been able to find a guide for grading or prices but prices for on-line sale examples range from about $1500 to nearly $15,000!

Apparently the grading points are in the crown details. If there are any Australian experts out there, give me an opinion. I may have to send it to PCGS to be sure. IMG_0008.JPG IMG_0009.JPG IMG_0010.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

Im not much of an expert at these but check some photos and compare the dates. Yours looks a bit funky with that three looking larger than the rest of the date. And that maybe just the way it is but if its a key date then there are prolly a lot of fakes and altered ones.

4. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

From what I could find out, which wasn't a whole lot, the dies were delivered to the mint with the 192 already stamped in and the mint then added the 3. And there were only two dies used so another example might have a different 3. That's why I need someone familiar with the series to tell me if it's worth the PCGS trip, or tell me where I can find grading data for the series - I could not find that on line.

5. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

6. rooman9

7. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

I'm a bit less optimistic now since I read the site http://www.thesandpit.net/index.php?option=1923_halfpenny. The key seems to be the shape of the upper curve on the 2. The end of it should point straight down to the corner of the base. This is a three year (1920, 1923 and 1929) only condition. It appears the end on mine points left of the base. Also, I agree that the 3 looks weird. It's fatter than the other numerals and it sits closer to the base than the others.

Weight - spec 5.67g ; mine 5.68g
    Diameter - spec 25.5mm ; mine 25.57mm

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
    swamp yankee and rooman9 like this.
  8. doug5353

doug5353 Well-Known Member

Based on the above comments, I think you MUST send it to PCGS, and your cost will be recovered when it sells without question. Right now, there's LOTS of questions.

The Australian equivalent of our Redbook is a comprehensive catalog by McDonald. Your library might be able to get you a 2014 copy via Interlibrary Loan (usually free to the borrower).

I am a firm believer that for unexpected finds, take the money and run. Then you're ready for another unexpected opportunity at a police auction or an estate sale or sometimes even a pawn shop.

See: http://www.jtsandc.com/category11_1.htm

sambyrd44 likes this.
  9. wprime

wprime Member

10. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

Not that there is any question left, but two more points:

The obverse rim is off, and the coin was made with simulated wear rather than actual wear. This is evidenced by the thin die crack running across the middle of the top band in the crown. The coin was hubbed from an already worn example of another date.

Edit: Corrected bad spelling.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
  11. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

Oh well, back into the junk pile it goes.

12. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

No, please don't put it back out there. Keep it as a study piece. It may come in useful for educating someone in the future.

silentnviolent likes this.
  13. doug5353

doug5353 Well-Known Member

The APS gladly accepts donations of counterfeit stamps for its reference collection; does ANA do the same? Do they even have a reference collection?

swamp yankee likes this.
  14. rooman9

I have a few fakes. I carve COPY into them and then carry them around as pocket pieces or flipping coins. Start up a lot of conversations with my fake morgan.

Jason Hoffpauir and swamp yankee like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted