1922 Satin Proof Peace Dollar?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Matthew Bidwell, Dec 5, 2015.

1. Matthew Bidwell

Matthew Bidwell New Member

image.jpg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg I realize how unlikely this is, but I'd like some opinions on this coin before sending it off and paying for it to be authenticated. I've recently come into possession of a 1922 Peace Dollar, but it's unlike anything I've ever seen, even one that's been highly polished. It's hard to get good pictures of the coin due to the mirror like finish, but I've positioned it the best I can to give an accurate image of it. You can see the reflection of my cell phone in one of the photos. Any information is appreciated! It's obviously circulated, but I don't know much else about it.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

It's hard to see the relief exactly, but it should be high relief like the '21. Also, the mirror finish wouldn't have been made by the mint, this one has been polished. A '22 matte proof would have a fairly dull satin finish and would not be reflective. I have my doubts, but it does look like a higher than normal relief for a '22.

Kentucky, Spark1951 and Blissskr like this.
  4. bigjpst

bigjpst Well-Known Member

I_like_Morgans and Spark1951 like this.
  5. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

6. Matthew Bidwell

Matthew Bidwell New Member

Thanks! So what I'm gathering is that any 22 Peace Dollar with a mirror finish is just polished or plated?

7. DUNK 2

DUNK 2 Well-Known Member

The obverse looks heavily polished but not the reverse. I'm not seeing a higher relief on this coin.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  8. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Prooflike Peace Dollars are vanishingly rare; if I recall I think NGC has only ever certified two. So, yes, this is a generality you can probably embrace.

9. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

It's a proof.
    Proof that someone's buffing machine worked really well.

10. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

The pic is proof that it's been polished! 112.gif

11. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

It isn't a proof. It is a heavily buffed and shined obverse and polished reverse. Was the buffer used before, or after whizzing? lol

12. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Another example of a potentially nice coin ruined by somebody's busy little hands..

JPeace$ likes this.
  13. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Take it out of the holder before taking pictures.

14. Kim Newton

Kim Newton New Member

Matthew, did you ever get this coin looked at? Wondering if there was a final determination. I just found one like yours!

15. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

He hasn’t been around here in more than two years.

16. James R

James R Active Member

17. James R

James R Active Member

They are not recognized by blue book but three have been graded by ngc

Attached Files:

18. James R

James R Active Member

Can you post video files so I can show the radial lines when I turn it in the light?

19. jgrinz

jgrinz Senior Member

Coin may be lacquered to preserve its "beauty" - Yes I have purchased a coin on the purpose of seeing what it looks like in hand with a TPG label of lacquered on it. They come out pretty amazing but after time the coating deteriorates - could be whats happening on the reverse.
    Just a thought

Cheech9712 likes this.
  20. CaptHenway

CaptHenway Survivor

Polished to death.

Cheech9712 and Lehigh96 like this.
  21. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

A polished Peace, now junk silver.

Cheech9712 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted