1922 Peace Silver Dollar, High Relief

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by talpage, Feb 28, 2018.

?

Which 3rd party provider is the most reliable(honest) and will find the best price?

1. NGC

69.2%
  2. Heritage Auctions

38.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. talpage

talpage New Member

I need an appraisal on this coin. Which 3rd party provider should I use?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Steven Hufschmidt

Steven Hufschmidt Active Member

I like the NGC holder more than PCGS. They stack better IMO.

furham likes this.
  4. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

It doesn't sound like there are too many 1922 high relief Peace dollar coins.
    "The US Mint originally produced 35401 of these 1922 High Relief coins (mostly non-proof business strikes intended for general circulation) before going to a Normal relief design. Nearly all of these high relief coins were melted down a short time later by the US Mint. Only about 10 to 12 High Relief 1922 Proof (Matte Proof) Peace Dollars are estimated to exist. One stray non-proof business strike coin also exists!"

5. bear32211

bear32211 Always Learning

Did I miss something ? Is there a picture of the Peace you have ?

6. RICHARD K

RICHARD K MISTY & SASHA

I WOULD LIKE TO SEE A PHOTO OF THIS 1922 HIGH RELEIF ,BEEN LOOKING AT EVERY 1922 I SEE . HOPEING TO FIND ONE

bear32211 likes this.
  7. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I would use PCGS or NGC for authenticating any high end coin. But, before you do that...are you certain it is a high relief dollar? The 1922 low relief coins is very common and would be a big waste of money to have authenticated unless it's condition is extremely high end. I'd recommend posting photos here and getting some opinions before submitting it.

8. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Article I read said there are only 10-12 matte proof 1922 high relief, and
    possibly no business strikes as they were melted. But some could have slipped through the cracks. It mentions 1, how would they know 1, unless it is slabbed already.
    With 1922 being the most common Peace at over 50 million
    I have to doubt this is a high relief coin.

9. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Heritage Auctions does not grade coins.

mikenoodle likes this.
  10. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

On one of my threads the other week ppl though my 1922's were high relief. But I also have 1921s to compare 1:1 .. it's obvious once you can compare a true high relief to something you think is high relief.

We chat about medium & high relief 1922 s ==> https://www.cointalk.com/threads/1922-peace.310925/

11. talpage

talpage New Member

20180226_180742.jpg Th 20180226_180836.jpg ank you for the information my 1922 has I think a mirror finish.

12. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

That's a normal low relief 1922 Peace Dollar. It looks like it has been polished to give it that mirror finish.

The real 1922 High Relief coins have several different diagnostics in the design that this coin lacks. They are also matte proofs so they do not have a mirror finish.

You can see some of the differences here: https://www.usacoinbook.com/coins/3305/dollars/peace/1922-P/high-relief/

John Johnson, GeorgeM, C-B-D and 2 others like this.
  13. Don P

Don P Active Member

That coin has definitely been polished which basically diminishes any value, except a bit over bullion.

14. DUNK 2

DUNK 2 Well-Known Member

+1 on what @CamaroDMD and @Don P said. Unfortunately, you have a polished low relief ‘22.

15. RICHARD K

RICHARD K MISTY & SASHA

Pictures look very dark to me, I can't tell any of the high relief signs, it's so rare I would expect it to be a common 1922. !922 high relief is probably just as hard to find as a 1943 (real) copper penny

16. orifdoc

orifdoc Well-Known Member

The 1922 Peace dollar was made in larger numbers than ANY other US silver dollar. Sorry, but the one you posted is a regular coin and any numismatic value it may have had has been destroyed by polishing.

17. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

That's right, but they are the most accurate for pricing.

18. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

You need more info before deciding if it is what you might think. Burdette wrote an article in Mar.9,2009 Coin world on the High and Medium relief 1922 Peace dollar.
    Here is a thread on the subject, and if you use the seach function above with 1922 high relief , you will see quite a few other threads.

http://www.cointalk.com/t49198/?highlight=1922 high relief

Spark1951 and bear32211 like this.
  19. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

How do we know these high reliefs are real. Never saw one

20. lovecoinswalkingliberty

lovecoinswalkingliberty Well-Known Member

Where is PCGS or Stack's Bowers auctions

21. lovecoinswalkingliberty

lovecoinswalkingliberty Well-Known Member

normal low relief 1922 Peace Dollar

Draft saved Draft deleted