1922 Peace LDS

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by alurid, Nov 20, 2018.

1. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

I got this 1922 Peace dollar recently, And after studying it I have found several abnormalities on the Obverse. In the photos below hopefully you can see a weird kind of Lamination effect across the cheek just below the eye. Then there is a horizontal Die Gouge just Southwest of the "E" of Liberty. Then find a Die Crack along the Neck Line from under the "WE" to above the "TR" of Trust.
    And the Last thing it a Shiny Spot Around the "1" of the date. I not sure what this is from. I am guessing a Die Rub from the Feeder Fingers? But I'm not sure how that works or if it is even possible. Any input is appreciated.
    22 Peace (2).jpg 22 Peace (3).jpg 22 Peace (18).jpg 22 Peace (14).jpg 22 Peace (4).jpg

green18 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Kool, and I'm sure that there must be a VAM for this coin, but I'm unversed and uninitiated to such, so I shall call on others most knowledgeable........

4. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

I looked for VAM #, but found nothing. I don't think there is one.

5. green18

Then a new one shall have to be created. :)

6. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Look at the 2BB vam

7. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

Can we get full coin shots looking directly down at the coin of both obverse and reverse? That would help identify the VAM. Also try not to lower the resolution too much, the more detail the better.

8. Paddy54

Yeah these peace vams can drive you nuts!

9. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

The last two photos are full direct down shots. Is another photo required?

10. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

the Die Crack on the 2BB goes though the "T" at a lower point. and no Tiara Gouge.

11. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

12. 1916D10C

1916D10C Key Date Mercs are Life! 1916-D/1921-D/1921

Well, if there isn't a "VAM" For it, somebody will manufacture one!

13. green18

Almost appears someone might have given it a cleansing........

Paddy54 likes this.
  14. Paddy54

Again your images aren't clear enough to make a call....you however have the coin in hand.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  15. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

I do have the coin in hand, I also have more photos and can take more.

16. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

17. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

18. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

I believe these are the two attributes needed. the coin on the web site for an example even has a shiny spot around the one. this is good info to find out,
    But I still wish some one would comment about the shiny spot around the one. And yes my coin has a faint die gouge below the "R" in trvst!

19. Paddy54

The one image on vam world shows the mark around the 1. So you pretty much attributed the specmen yourself. 1922_RonH_VAM-2F_OBV_BM_04152011.jpg

20. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Yes I did, it was not that hard once I saw it, it is a spot on match for the one posted on VAMworld. And thanks to those who prompted me to take another look at the VAMs.

21. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Do you have any guess as to what is the cause of the shiny mark around the one?

Draft saved Draft deleted