1922 Peace Dollar.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Robert Ransom, Apr 1, 2020.

1. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

Made an early run to the convenience store last fall and passed a woman setting up a yard sale. On impulse, I made a u-turn and stopped in front of her house. She said the sale would start at eight. She didn't have a lot of items and I made a deal to help her bring them from her garage (some were heavy). When we finished setting up fifteen minutes later. She thanked me for helping and as a reward for lending a hand, she told me to pick any item as payment. I was really interested in the jewelry box that was not open and popped the lid. Most of the items were costume jewelry, but one shiny object caught my eye. It was a 1922 Peace Dollar and I offered $15 for it. She said take it as my reward for being kind. I wrapped the coin in a handkerchief as I walked to my truck and put it in my pocket. When I returned home from the store, I removed the coin. This is what I found and have a question. Does this coin appear to be lacquered or coated with something? I also think it has been cleaned. Two sets of pics. with different lighting. DSC04789 (2).JPG DSC04793 (2).JPG DSC04803 (2).JPG DSC04805 (2).JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

While I'm no Peace dollar collector, it doesn't look right. Could it be a fake? Have you done the usual checks; weight, magnetic, etc? Let's see what others say.

Robert Ransom likes this.
  4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It's a very common date. It looks normal for a junk grade Peace Dollar. I would have taken that myself.

5. Robert Ransom

Sorry for the delay - Wife had dinner waiting.
    Non-magnetic and 26.7 gm.

6. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

I have come across LMC's from the 50's that are coated with a varnish or similar product to protect them from tarnish/toning. It did a good job too.
    I can not tell if your coin has a coating or not.

7. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I don’t see anything obvious. Soak it In acetone and that should remove anything like varnish or pvc too

8. SamuelFred1

SamuelFred1 I Guess I'm Kind Of a Decent Member at This Point?

Sorry. I am a little late. Here is an example from my collection. It’s no gem... but it might compare pretty good to yours.
    upload_2020-4-3_11-30-21.jpeg

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  9. SamuelFred1

SamuelFred1 I Guess I'm Kind Of a Decent Member at This Point?

10. Robert Ransom

If the coin had good luster before the coating was applied, would it be visible through the coating, ie. does the coating hide luster or remove it?

11. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

It will obstruct the luster

12. Robert Ransom

13. Robert Ransom

Been there, done that???

14. Robert Ransom

Sorry for the messed up question. What results have you had doing this. How long in bath and pat dry or air dry?

15. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

If the coin has been lacquered, plan on at least three acetone soakings, with clean acetone each time.

You can safely leave it in the soak for several hours each time. Acetone doesn't interact with the metal in the coin, only with what's on the coin, so no worries.

Don't pat dry...air dry. Acetone evaporates in a matter of a few seconds.

16. Robert Ransom

Thank you very much.:happy::happy::happy::happy::happy:

17. Robert Ransom

Update: Finally 'acetoned' the coin and here are the results. Sorry for the poor quality photos. It's hit or miss with me. I'll post my thoughts after yours.
    DSC05407 (2).JPG
    DSC05401 (2).JPG

masterswimmer and Penny Luster like this.
  18. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Looks better than before still a nice coin.

19. furham

furham Good Ole Boy

Clear improvement.

20. Robert Ransom

My opinion: The coin was dipped then lacquer sprayed. I see only shiny and no remnants of luster. In hand, the coin looks great, but scope it and you can see many distracting features. :(:mad:

21. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

The price was right ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted