1922 Peace Dollar with DDO date and staple in Peace on reverse

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Lady D, Aug 27, 2020.

1. Lady D

Lady D Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Coin Obsessed

Coin Obsessed Active Member

Machine doubling. Not doubled die. Not sure what is happening on the reverse though

4. Lady D

Lady D Member

Thank you. I just read up on the difference. And now have a bunch of pennies to look through. I'm learning. This is a wonderful site. Under my microscope it looks like a staple between the C and E which caused a crack into A and not sure what the dash is from between A and C. No idea how this could happen. It looks like a metal object embedded with the naked eye.

rosethe likes this.
  5. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

IMO, not DDO. Issue on rev appears to be a PM hit to the letters.

6. Bluntflame

Bluntflame Well-Known Member

Not so fast! Did you notice how it forms between A and C? I believe the oc was onto something there. It looks like and lam error to me. Notice how the crack seems to follow under the layer? If we could get a side photo of that, I can confirm whether or not that is a lam error or not.

Evan Saltis, ZoidMeister and rosethe like this.
  7. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

And if it is?

8. Lady D

Lady D Member

I'm not sure what you mean of a side photo, but I took this one from the side when on my microscope. And if it is, is that a good thing for me? edge pic 1.JPG I've joined PGCS and was thinking if I should send it in to be examined?

9. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

I have never seen any stapler that could use a staple that small. A side view would help, but it does look like damage straight on view. IMO, Jim

10. Goldsayshi463

Goldsayshi463 the person who says "hi" all the time

He meant like an almost flat with mid/high quality picture. Sry if i was hard on you

11. Lady D

Lady D Member

not sure I can do that quality of a picture, but will try. I'm very new at looking at coins.

12. Lady D

Lady D Member

reverse.JPG Almost flat? I'm confused but here is a picture of the coin flat on the reverse.

13. Bluntflame

Bluntflame Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, we meant a photo at the angle of the edge so we can see if the line follows UNDER the design.

14. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

Let's start with: "is this a S mintmark 1922 peace dollar?" in the last photo of the reverse, I definitely see some sort of a mint mark.

the doubling in 1922, ejection doubling and very common n the 1922 somewhere on the obverse. it moved around a lotand affected different things.
    the thing running through "peace" looks like a scrape to the coin to me. could be a scrape to the coin running under PE, dinging up A, then a small delamination on the C and into the E, hard to tell from these pictures. the only good one is the picture of the obverse, the monitor screen pictures or that last one aren't clear enough pictures.

that said, this still could be an identifiable VAM if you want toput in the effort. and take the time on it. blow is the vam world wiki, you will need to look at specific things and it's not ideal to do it off a general picture that's blurryor of a monitor of the coin.
    http://vamworld.com/wiki/Main_Page

15. Lady D

Lady D Member

Thanks John, I have some other interesting coins and belong to PCGS. There is a special to rate coins for free, I might send it in with the others to see if its anything special. BTW, your name seems familiar like I've talked to you in my last life about LTC. I remember there was a person who knew a lot about coins with your same name.

John Burgess likes this.
  16. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

It's very common first and last names.
    There's probably a million people with my first name on the planet . And probably at least 10,000 people with the same last name. Chances are high there's at lest a dozen or more with same first and last. :D

17. ChristopherCollectsCoin

ChristopherCollectsCoin Active Member

20200920_132148.jpg

This is an example of a lamination error. This is what they were talking about what kind of photo they needed. To see if there was what looks like a "flap" as seen below Lincoln's neck. Sometimes lamination errors look like cracks or maybe something like this,

20200920_133740.jpg

ZoidMeister likes this.
  18. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

No DDO and the reverse is not a staple. It does however look like it could be the start of a lamination error.

19. Lady D

Lady D Member

Thank you. These pics and explanations of what it depicts are a great help to a newbie like me.

Evan Saltis likes this.
  20. Rodney Cole

Rodney Cole I do not keep foreign coins.

Here is one of my examples...

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted