1922 peace dollar trial strike?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by quarter-back, Jun 30, 2013.

1. quarter-back

quarter-back Active Member

I have recently started a collection of Peace Dollars. Much to my great enjoyment, they are just loaded with varieties. I got one yesterday that someone may be able to help me with. Mr. Burdette's "Guide Book to Peace Dollars" mentions trial strikes in 1922 that are characterized by the a which appears to be unique for 1922-P (although common for other mints). It also has extensive re-engraving/channeling on the tiara rays on the obverse. I have attached some comparison pictures below. I tried to use pdf's with arrows pointing out the important markers, but it would not let me upload them. If anyone has insights, I would appreciate hearing form them.

Comparison 1: Tiara rays - The upper two pictures are from the putative trial strike. The lower pictures show a typical 1922-P. I took the pictures at different angles to maximize the contrast.

tiara rays comparison.jpg

Comparison 2: Talon comparison - The left picture shows the talon separated from the foot. The right picture shows the talon on a typical 1922-P

talon comaprison.jpg

Comparison 3: Reverse mountains - The upper picture shows two mountains on the lower right reverse. The lower picture shows the three mountains for the typical 1922-P

mountains comparison.jpg

Comparison 4: Reverse lettering - the left picture shows the "R" in "DOLLAR" ending at the edge of the ray. The right picture shows the "R" extending beyond the edge of the ray (Typical)

letters comparison.jpg

Finally, comparison 5: Reverse olive branch - the left picture shows a gap between the end of the branch and the foot, and a small ball at the right end of the branch. The right picture shows the typical 1922 - P arrangement with the branch nearly touching the foot.

branch comparison.jpg

Any help will be appreciated.

Have fun.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

http://www.cointalk.com/t49198/
    There have been several threads on this topic, you might use the search box in the blue menu bar at the top of page. Here is one similar to the question you bring up.

Jim

4. quarter-back

quarter-back Active Member

Thanks. Any idea if there is a VAM number for this variety?

Draft saved Draft deleted