1922 Peace Dollar - PMD or something else?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by GeorgeM, Nov 16, 2019.

1. GeorgeM

GeorgeM Well-Known Member

Removed some rust spots off this with a 3 hour diluted lime juice soak, and I found something odd that had been hidden on the reverse. I'm not sure what would cause this sweeping gap in the "BUS" of Pluribus.

It could be post mint damage, but there doesn't seem to be the usual raised metal. Thoughts?

20191116_220004.jpg 20191116_215055.jpg 20191116_215028.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

Looks like a lot of post mint damage. You should take your pictures with the coin outside the flip.

4. GeorgeM

Thanks. Would if I had noticed it before I put it in the flip.

5. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

Take it out of the flip.

6. Bambam8778

Bambam8778 Well-Known Member

It honestly looks like a cut of some sort to me. Like something was drawn across the coin to cause the continuous line I see there. It looks as if the metal is pushed aside when I zoom in however the photograph gets pixilated when I do that. It could be different in hand.

longshot likes this.
  7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Yes! It looks like a scratch to me.

Chris

8. Long Beard

Long Beard Well-Known Member

I would concur with the above. Lime juice? Never heard that one used before.

9. GeorgeM

I have a whole thread on cleaning rust off of some Morgans. Lime is slightly less acidic than lemon (with half the sugar), and seems to have done a better job with whatever witches brew of calcified tap water was accrued on this batch of coins while attracting fewer flies.

Draft saved Draft deleted