1922 Peace Dollar on eBay - worth it?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by 68KennedyHalf, Jun 5, 2016.

1. 68KennedyHalf

68KennedyHalf Junior Member

This raw 1922 Peace Dollar is going for $42. I like it, but I worry that it's cleaned, as I can't always tell unless the coin looks too shiny or has obvious parallel scratches.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I'm an amateur in this realm, so wait on others to chime in, but I can't tell if it's been cleaned and the photos aren't sharp/clear enough to be sure. Personally, I like the look of the coin.

68KennedyHalf likes this.
  4. chromerunner

chromerunner ******

Its not been cleaned imo
    You can probably buy one in that grade already slabbed for same price or less

Smojo and 68KennedyHalf like this.
  5. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

These look more like scans rather than photographs, so no opinion of surface preservation is really possible. Me, I walk away the moment I see more than one "+" written on a flip. :)

Considering this coin enjoys the single largest mintage of any US Silver Dollar, you can afford patience. :)

6. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

I agree 100%. Plus huge mint of 1922's. You can find ungraded about same condition $27-$35, less if you search hard enough.

7. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

Nice coin but for that much $$ ungraded I'd pass.

8. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I usually stay away from anything that says "PQ-Premium Quality". The photo is not good and the hype on the 2X2 is deceiving to me, why +++++++? For a common date this would not interest me at the price listed. JMHO.;) Edit...and I see way too many nicks on this coin to go with a Gem B.U. which usually intones an M.S.65 at least.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
  9. 68KennedyHalf

Great feedback -- thanks everyone. I'll pass on this one.

I had an album of Peace Dollars (not complete) that I sold in 2011, and I've been missing them.

10. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

There are 449 of these Peace dollars on eBay graded/slabbed right now. I'd pass on a raw offering.

11. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

I've always thought the +'s stand for a grade point. 3 x's mean the seller is trying to say it's ms63, in this case the seller is trying to convey that he's grading it ms66 without outright saying it. Am I wrong? Just what I've always assumed.

Either that, or that this coin was minted using 6 beaver pelts :p

tommyc03 likes this.
  12. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Have you ever seen Tiso's ads in Numismatic News? All sorts of ++++ and other nonsensical ways of grading that are so hard to follow I just gave up.;)

13. Quentyn Green

Quentyn Green Member

Attached Files:

14. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

If it's the mint mark you are wondering about, it looks like zinc rot.

15. Quentyn Green

Quentyn Green Member

Attached Files:

16. 68KennedyHalf

A slabbed version for only slightly more than the coin I posted about.

I've always preferred to put coins in albums, and have been known to crack slabs. But maybe as I collect Peace Dollars this time around, I'll keep them encased and get an Eagle slab album. It just won't be the same, though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

tommyc03 likes this.
  17. Quentyn Green

Quentyn Green Member

Attached Files:

18. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I'll admit it "looks" like an RPM but this should not happen as the mint marks are now incorporated into the dies so this should not be possible. No longer hand punched after 1989. Maybe someone else can correct me or has a diff. answer.

19. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Littleton has a nice slab album that is enclosed all the way around so slabs do not fall out. I can't vouch for the others as I do not own any.

20. Quentyn Green

Quentyn Green Member

Attached Files:

21. Quentyn Green

Quentyn Green Member

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted