1922 No D wheat penny.

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Bryan Taebel, Jan 24, 2017.

1. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

It depends on where you go. My guess is most dealers will not be able to authenticate it, but many will.

BTW, I would go so far as to say if the reverse is rotated ~15°, it is most likely authentic. Everything else looks good.

Bryan Taebel likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

The last posted photo you could clearly see the weak D.
    That one should be the one to post.

4. STU

STU Active Member

i would take it to a grading service that way you will get the facts

Bryan Taebel likes this.
  5. Michael K

This pictured coin looks nothing like the previous picture.

6. 712

712 Constatutionalist, U.S.N. Viet Nam vet 66'

I'm with The other Frank, I checked CoinFacts picture and the strike is correct but why the difference in height between the 2s, impossible to hand strike that many pennies.

7. Bryan Taebel

Bryan Taebel New Member

I will take a look when I get home. I appreciate all the info.

8. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Get it to ANACS for an attribution. They attribute it the "No D," you're going places...

9. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Do NOT use ANACS. The only thing they certify as no "D" is dies #2. Everything else is a weak "D" regardless of where you can see a D or not. Granted, they will tell you which die pair, but #1, #3 or #4 will never receive a no "D".

10. David Setree Rare Coins

David Setree Rare Coins Well-Known Member

"While there are three die pairs of the "1922 No D" cent, only one, die pair #2 is recognized by ANACS and will be certified. This die pair has the strong reverse. ANACS feels that the "D" was polished off this particular die, while the D on the die pairs #1 and #3 actually fades in and out due to a filled die." Bill Fivas. ( this may have changed since publication. I don't know.)

The "L" of LIBERTY must be mushy and up against the rim, and the "R" is weaker than the other letters.

"IN GOD WE" is quite weak or mushy, while "TRUST and the second 2 in the date are usually stronger.

This coin is not die#2. Die #2 usually has a very sharp reverse while #1 and #3 are weak and poorly struck.

11. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

You should look closer at Die #3.

12. Michael K

This is the photo from yesterday. Is this the same coin? If it is , it is a weak D and not worth very much.
    IMG_4018.JPG

13. Bryan Taebel

Bryan Taebel New Member

If you are talking about the previous post they are two different coins. On this thread I thought I only posted
    The last thread was a different coin.
    These are two different coins. In the comments of yesterday's post I mentioned that I had one that had not been cleaned. A lot of what I have was cleaned in the 80's by my grandfather. He had a "tumbler" that he would run the coins through. He was a chemistry teacher for a University in Pa. and he probably treated many of the coins with some concoction that he made up but truthfully I have no idea. All I do know is that he had a machine that looked like a rock tumbler and he would run the coins through this tumbler for a few days. However. I have some books that have coins that have not been cleaned. The pic in this post is a coin that has not been cleaned.

Michael K likes this.
  14. Michael K

OK thank you. I thought you reposted with a better picture.
    One problem with the 1922 no D, is that the D has been removed.
    If your coin has not had the D removed then it is VERY valuable.
    Any coins he put through the tumbler to be cleaned are ruined.

Bryan Taebel likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted