1922 No D wheat penny.

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Bryan Taebel, Jan 24, 2017.

1. Bryan Taebel

Bryan Taebel New Member

This coin appears to be in better shape than the last one I posted. Any ideas on value?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

First you need to determine if it's legit.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
    fish4uinmd likes this.
  4. eric6794

eric6794 Well-Known Member

That last 2 doesn't look right to me, maybe someone else can say for sure.

5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

If memory serves me correct this early in the morning, 1922 was only minted at the Denver Mint and therefore should have the "D". Due to extreme pressure to produce cents, the Mint got sloppy and we now have a 1922 "No D Cent". Please beware of alter or removed Mint marks and counterfeit coins for 1922's.

6. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Hey.. You are right. Ok, I just learned something! :wideyed:

Bryan Taebel and Collecting Nut like this.
  7. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

questionable, the spacing between the two 2's is strange

8. Bryan Taebel

Bryan Taebel New Member

While I am no expert I do have at least some of the history of the coin. My grandfather collected up until the late 80's. This was part of his collection. I can say for certain that he did not alter this coin but I guess it's possible that when he got it someone else had. Who is the best person to go through to get this coin certified for a reasonable price. And if certified what would be the value. Just trying to see if it's worth it to send it in someone and what the process is.

paddyman98 likes this.
  9. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

One thing I can say for sure, this coin is NOT a die pair #2 coin, which is the most valuable variety.

The reverse is too weak and the diagnostics for the obverse aren't there for die pair #2.

Bryan Taebel and eddiespin like this.
  10. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

eddiespin and Bryan Taebel like this.
  11. Collecting Nut

It's early for these things but every once in awhile a cog is in the correct place at that hour. Learning is an everyday process. :)

Bryan Taebel and paddyman98 like this.
  12. Collecting Nut

Hey Paddy, it just dawned on me, is this a mint error you don't have? If not, you've gotta get one. Also, several varieties exist but like you, I'm not a variety collector.

13. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

Looks like the weak reverse type. The "L" on Liberty looks correct for a 22 no D.

14. STU

STU Active Member

i would be concered if it is the real deal as that 2 just looks strange

15. wxcoin

I think the second 2 is fine. If one was to try to fake a 22 no D it would make better sense to fake the strong reverse type as it is worth much more.

Bryan Taebel likes this.
  16. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Look at my link and you will find that is what the 2 is supposed to look like.

Bryan Taebel and furham like this.
  17. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Not until we're certain what it is. There are diagnostics on these, or didn't you know that? These are the types one attributes first, values second. Why? People fake them.

18. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

or less sense as it would receive a lot of scrutiny because it is a valuable coin. Maybe it's more profitable to fly a little below the radar with a less valuable coin.

19. fish4uinmd

fish4uinmd Well-Known Member

Bryan, welcome to CT.

Bryan Taebel likes this.
  20. wxcoin

Removing the link that was posted earlier. Sorry about that.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
  21. Bryan Taebel

Bryan Taebel New Member

Thanks for all the great info. The link showing the three different varieties is very helpful. Looks like I will have to take it somewhere to be certified or graded to be sure. Can a standard coin shop dealer give me this info or does it have to go through one of the grading services?

Draft saved Draft deleted