1922 German note

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by eric6794, Feb 13, 2016.

1. eric6794

eric6794 Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Common note.....usually cost under a dollar, even in better condition.

eric6794 likes this.
  4. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

The only interesting thing about this note is the illustration, if you look at it sideways, the neck looks like a wolf's head or a vampire biting the throat of the man.

This is popularly supposed to be deliberate and a reference to foreign powers at Germany's throat for war reparartions. The picture is by Durer and several hundred years old so this is unlikely.

http://blog.realbanknotes.com/?p=481

eric6794 likes this.
  5. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Albrecht Durer's portraits were used on many German banknotes, his works are fascinating - but the usage of the man with the vampire sucking his lifeblood was just a convenient placement for the time.

I have some notgeld notes from Paderborn in Eastern Germany that have a ducat defecating donkey on them - so humour was another means of getting a political message across.

6. bear32211

bear32211 Always Learning

Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
  7. Dave L

Dave L Junior Member

8. bear32211

9. eric6794

eric6794 Well-Known Member

This note belonged to a great uncle of mine that was in Germany right after WW1. He sent this to my great aunt along with a letter saying how much American money it was worth at the time. I found the note but I can't find the most valuable part "the letter" sadly with all the moving in my life and a flood I can't locate it :(

bear32211 likes this.
  10. bear32211

Understand, the letter would tie everything together. In my case, this note was given to me by my mother. She got it from her father who lived in Ohio. It was sent to him by his brother who lived in Rastatt Germany. So I do know the history just no letters. The fun is the stories my grandfather told me before passing.

Draft saved Draft deleted