1922 D no D little help please

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Jas17931, Jun 14, 2010.

1. Jas17931

Jas17931 Junior Member

Hi,
    I recently found this penny. Examined it for almost an hour and in variety of light. The "22" is barely visible only on a certain angle and in certain light. Thought I would post for your thoughts?

Attached Files:

• 22.jpg
      22.jpg
      File size:
      229 KB
      Views:
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jas17931

Jas17931 Junior Member

reverse

Here is the reverse

Attached Files:

4. Jas17931

Jas17931 Junior Member

another angle

another angle

Attached Files:

• 22b.jpg
      22b.jpg
      File size:
      246.2 KB
      Views:
  5. Jas17931

Jas17931 Junior Member

another of the reverse

another of the reverse

Attached Files:

6. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I am not sure how you can tell it is a 1922, but it is not any of the recognized die pairs for the no"D". There are enough left on your coin to rule out each one of them.

7. Jas17931

Jas17931 Junior Member

die pairs

The only die pair that I think maybe possible is #1

8. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Die pair #1 has a die crack running from the O in ONE to the L. Unless I am missing something, yours does not have that crack.

9. Lugia

Lugia ye olde UScoin enthusiast

damaged beyond recognition of being a no D cent.

10. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

Too banged up to tell anything.
    Also that 9 looks a tad off to me.

11. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I am just curious. How do you get a coin so damaged/banged up, but still have a full complete rim without a ding in it?

BTW, ligia, since the no"D" cents are specific die pairs, there probably is enough there to recognize it as a no"D". However, in this case, I can tell you it is not a no "D".

12. conpewter

conpewter Junior Member

Thin planchet perhaps? Still gets the rim rolled on but not fully punched on the date side.

13. mas4492

mas4492 Junior Member

1922 is an exceptional Lincoln to grade. Weigh the coin to determine if it's a planchet deficiency.
    It looks to be a grease filled die.
    Probably MS63 or better.

14. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

IMO, that's an AU coin that was struck on a grease filled die....that's my guess. I've never seen a 1922-D like that one! You need to let Bill or MikeD have a look at it.

15. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

thad, that coin is Post Mint Damaged. No expert necessary.

16. BadThad

Maybe, but the rim looks complete....I leave this to Bill or Mike Diamond as I'm no expert on these. Those guys can instantly tell.

17. kangayou

kangayou Junior Member

I have to disagree with the thought that what caused the lack of detail on the obverse & reverse was due to PMD. Those areas where the normal design are missing look MUCH THICKER than the rest of the surface/field of the coin , so I go with partially grease filled die on both the rev & obv as the cause of the uniqueness of this coin. As for the rest of the coin is shows regular circulation wear. I would like to see some straigh on rim shots from the north , south , east & west so that we can all see the thickness or thicknesses of the coin.

18. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

OK. I will ask again. How can that coin be so damaged but still have a full undamaged rim? When you can explain that, I might agree with you. "Might" agree, that is.

19. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

while I agree that experts will be better able to describe the damage, it appears in the same area of the coin, both obverse and reverse. That says PMD to me and although I agree that most PMD would have also altered the rim, I would bet dollars to donuts that this is PMD and the experts will confirm it.

20. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Maybe grease, but also possibly a tapered planchet. It doesn't really look to me like PMD.

21. BadThad

I think there's another thread on this coin....it's been classified as a "tapered planchet". First I've heard of that, but it seems to be the conclusion.

Draft saved Draft deleted