1922 D Lincoln Cent ?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Defenderone, Dec 3, 2016.

1. Defenderone

Defenderone Active Member

error lincoln cents 019.JPG error lincoln cents 020.JPG The more I read about this coin the more confusing between the diferent dies used and weak D and the no D and the strong and weak reverse and the diferent opinions of the big professional grading services. Well I just want to share it and see what other opinions come up...all comments welcomed!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

IMHO concerning the Obverse
    All the Letters, Numbers and the D Mintmark look worn due to heavy circulation.

Seattlite86 and Defenderone like this.
  4. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Too much wear for me to tell.

Defenderone likes this.
  5. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

It's a weak "D". The coin is a higher grade than it looks as the dies were very worn.

Defenderone and dwhiz like this.
  6. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Sorry, but it is a worn 1922-D. Not die #1 - not die crack. Not die #3 - strong O. Not die #4 - separation between the bust and rim. Oh, and die #2 does not have a weak "D".

eddiespin and CamaroDMD like this.
  7. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Thanks for your diagnostics...we'll just disagree.;)

Defenderone likes this.
  8. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

So which die is it? In order to be a weak "D", it has to be from either die #1, #3, or #4. Anything else does not qualify as a weak "D".

CamaroDMD and Defenderone like this.
  9. Defenderone

Thanks! this is what I mean about the confusions created by these professional grading services which we all know. I know it has some or alot of wear, however, how can we tell if it started as a weak strike? you see some areas on both sides were not weak strike. I am sure if I send it to these grading services they will also have different opinions about it...

10. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

Tater and Defenderone like this.
  11. Defenderone

so, we are saying it was not struck with dies 1, 3 or 4 (no D weak reverse)? Then your findings adds a new one "overall poor strike"?

12. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Yes. And, BTW, in order to qualify as a weak "D", the "D" will be barely visible even on an uncirculated coin.

Defenderone likes this.
  13. Defenderone

Thanks for your observation.

14. Defenderone

I highly appreciate all the feedbacks and observations. Now, my next concern is the grading. In accordance with the American Numismatic Grading Standards official guidebook and considering the history and conditions behind this Lincoln Cents, would it right to grade this coin in the "Good" or "About Good" grade? and if so, what would be its estimated value?

15. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

The ANA guide is a good recourse for average coins in the series. The book doesn't dive into the specific annual changes in the series...it just isn't specific enough. The 1922-D is well known for its extremely soft strike. You really can't evaluate it with a generalized grading system. It will always look more worn than it is if you do. You need to grade this coin slightly differently.

Trouble is I'm not an expert in the 1922-D lincoln. So I can't give you a really good grade on it but I would say it's not as worn as it appears.

Defenderone likes this.
  16. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Poor strikes are notoriously hard to grade. I would guess technically this is a solid good and maybe a low VG. However, the lack of detail is more determinate of value than the grade. I think you would be lucky to gt $10 for it

Defenderone likes this.
  17. Defenderone

Thanks! thats what I was also thinking and I am still not sure to what professional grading service should I send it to, mostly due to the differences in their opinions about this Lincoln Cent.

18. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

It will cost you $40 or more to certify a $10 coin! WHY! And when it is done, you will have a coin worth $10 that cost you $40.

Defenderone and BadThad like this.
  19. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Just a regular, worn 22D, G4...worth about $15-20 at best.

Defenderone likes this.
  20. Defenderone

Thanks, you r right! its part of my wheaties collection, so I will hold on to it until I get lucky again and get a better one.

21. Defenderone

just curious, is this the only yr a LCcent was made by one mint facility?

Draft saved Draft deleted