1922 d is this a mint error? value?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by michael strieff, Nov 11, 2015.

1. michael strieff

michael strieff New Member

trying to figure out value on this coin i know the "d" isn't weak or anything but i see no visible wear on the coin itself other than regular circulation. no scratching and is in same spot on obverse and reverse.. thoughts?? error2.jpg hh2.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

Probably partially grease filled die

tommyc03 likes this.
  4. Markus1959

Or also could be an overly polished die in those areas

tommyc03 likes this.
  5. michael strieff

what would you say the value is? not sure if this is a common nothing special coin or would the error in question add any value to this coin?

6. Markus1959

well 22-d is a very collectible Lincoln Cent but this type of mint damage/error shouldn't add any more value to it because it isn't very pronounced

7. phankins11

phankins11 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum.

These pics are just to blurry for me. I see something going on on the reverse field, between the end of the wheat stalk and the letters ER of AMERICA...what is that.

Also not sure what you mean by
    I see very viable wear which is from circulation...they're one in the same. I assume you mean something different than that?

8. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

9. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

And that is quite a bit. Error is probably grease filled die, no added value

10. michael strieff

im not sure on that i will take a better picture and post em on here tonight..
    and i by no wear i mean its high relief all over if it was wear I would "assume" it would be spread out over various portion of the coin this however is only on this spot with raised edge around the coin and line on the stalks which cannot be seen in this picture unfortunatly maybe it will be clearer on new picture tonight. i do respect opinion but my picture doesnt do it justice and i admit i could be wrong

11. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I tend to agree with Markus, but considering the hit to the reverse there is little if any additional value added to the coin in it's condition. Still, it's a keeper.

Markus1959 likes this.
  12. michael strieff

13. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

You can expect that upper left quadrant of a Lincoln reverse to sometimes appear weak. It's opposite Lincoln's shoulder on the obverse, a place where a disproportionate amount of extra planchet metal from elsewhere needs to migrate to fill in the device. In some cases, especially when strike pressure is reduced, the face opposite the shoulder doesn't fill well as a result.

And the folks at Denver in 1922 knew they had to force a small number of dies to strike a massive number of coins; one can reasonably expect they backed off the pressure as much as possible to get maximum die life. It's one of the reasons (along with sheer die wear) why 1922-D's are so weakly struck.

And the LI of LIBERTY is one of the first places where wear and pressure weaken a strike, so that feature is explained to me.

14. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

On the O in ONE, the jacket on the obverse took up some of the impact, that's one reason you see those.

Draft saved Draft deleted