1922 $20 Gold Certificate

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by ilmcoins, Dec 19, 2018.

1. ilmcoins

ilmcoins Well-Known Member

Randy A. made a post a few minutes ago that got me to pull out this bill. I do not know much at all about grading paper money. To all the guys and gals here that have a handle on this, what would an estimated grade on this one be?

While I am here. I have a handfull of bills like this that have been in the family forever and plan to keep them that way. I am sure all the typical rules apply when it comes to temperature, humidity, etc. My question is if there are better long term storage "holders" for paper currency than what you see in the photos?

20181219_150257.jpg
    20181219_150144.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

I'm not really a currency guy, but I do know that that is one of my favorite Gold Certificate designs I've seen. Sorry I can't help you with the grade.

4. ilmcoins

ilmcoins Well-Known Member

I will post some of the others as well soon. I am a big fan for sure.

jtlee321 likes this.
  5. Searcher64

Searcher64 Member

In Bank Note Reporter of my May issue, has it in fine @ retail as $200.00 whole sale would be about $140.00. I feel it's a Good example. The KL# is 564 1187 1922 , since it's not a star note it would have more expensive. If VF note then, the retail would be about $2000.00

6. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

For long term storage I'd keep your notes in firm plastic sleeves. If the sleeves you are using are soft and notably pliable, I'd switch them out. Something like this would likely work well.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
    GoldFinger1969 and ilmcoins like this.
  7. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

As long as they aren't PVC (super soft, almost rubbery as NOS mentioned) it is fine. Speaking of fine, that's about the grade of that note, probably F12-15 area. Decent example with quite nice gold coloring front and back...

8. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

9. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

If this is one of the bills you plan on keeping in the family, the grade really doesn't matter, does it?

10. Searcher64

Searcher64 Member

11. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

12. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Serious folds, creases and wear.
    The grade will be 20 or lower.
    It's not in good condition as the reverse reveals that even more than the obv.
    Nice note. I have the 10, as I love the color and reverse design on the 10.
    Also the 10 has the portrait of Hillegas and he wasn't on anything else. (1907 and 1922 $10 gold cert.)

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  13. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

A holder made of "Mylar" made by Dupont is your best bet !! avoid anything
    Made with polyester for storage as i will break down over time and actually
    Damage the note !

As far as a grade for that note, good accuracy can only be achieved
    Through handling the note, but based on what i see your looking
    at an 8-10 grade scale.

Draft saved Draft deleted