1922 12A Mustache VAM Est Grade Assistance.

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by SSG_Gonzo, Sep 19, 2016.

1. SSG_Gonzo

SSG_Gonzo Well-Known Member

I had posted this image of my 1922 12A VAM on another thread called "Post your under $50.00 Purchase" by @jtlee321 and asked if anyone could give me an estimated grade. @SuperDave gave me some good insight and advised that I start a separate thread for it cause it could have high potential. Below are some images that were shot by @robec of my coin. I would like assistance in estimating a grade for this coin and possibly an est value. I have never sent it in for grading.

This VAM is #14 on the Top 50 Peace Dollar VAMs in VAM World
    http://www.vamworld.com/1922-P+VAM-12A

This coin was picked out of a junk silver bin for just under $20.00

Thank you for your assistance.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1922PeaceObv_01.jpg 1922PeaceObv_02.jpg 1922PeaceObv_05.jpg 1922PeaceRev_01.jpg 1922PeaceRev_03.jpg 1922PeaceRev_04.jpg

MKent likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

I'd go with 58 due to the nature of the marks and only slight rub on the eagles shoulder and leg. Very nice strike though. And a SUPER tuff one to cherry pick in any grade due to the obvious and humongous "in your face" die break let alone from a junk box. The dealer must have zero interest in silver dollars let alone varieties :)

As to value you're probably in the $125 +/-ballpark after grading. Maybe $80-120 raw depending on how and to whom it's sold

SSG_Gonzo likes this.
  4. SSG_Gonzo

SSG_Gonzo Well-Known Member

Wow I was not expecting that. I was told possible MS, I was hoping for Low MS but not AU.

5. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Well it is a slider but I'm seeing high au personally. Can I see it in a low ms slab, sure. That's the definition of a slider. Good luck when you send it in :)

SSG_Gonzo likes this.
  6. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Looks 62 to me. It probably picked up a few abrasions in the junk box, but I don't see anything that jumps out at me as being wear. Congrats on your find!

SSG_Gonzo and MKent like this.
  7. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

I could see it in a 63 holder.

SSG_Gonzo likes this.
  8. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

I see this coin as a high end 63
    Possible 64, if I'm reading the luster right.
    Peace dollars get more leeway imo than Morgan's do....

SSG_Gonzo likes this.
  9. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

The multiple lighting angles are a terrific help in trying to evolve an accurate opinion of a coin using only photographs. Each show something different about the coin. As a cumulative opinion, I'm closer to 63 than 64 on this one now, and even at that I'd prefer to see the field under IN GOD WE and the nose & eyebrow in-hand before being sure.

Either way, this is what anyone would call a major cherrypick. You can drop this coin into any "post your cherrypicks" thread and expect to be one of the winners. :)

10. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

I think its a solid 62 with the hits on the neck. One view makes them appear to be less deep than the others. Might have a chance of 63

11. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

Awesome cherry pick. I see it as an easy 62.

12. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I'm at 62 as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted