1921s Toned 1b6

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Cascade, Oct 31, 2015.

1. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Thought I'd share this one. I blind cherrypicked her at long beach. She was my first purchase on day 1 so I bought quick and fast without looking for obvious vams. Needless to say I was happy when I noticed! She's at pcgs now then john will put his stamp on her

Nothing like a thorny girl with such a beautiful completion :shame:
    20150921_130315_opt.jpg 20150921_130350_opt.jpg 20150921_124451_opt.jpg 20150921_124454_opt.jpg 20150921_124501_opt.jpg 20150921_124442_opt.jpg 20150921_124616_opt.jpg 20150921_124612_opt.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

You and my son would get along great, with that Sublime avatar there .. Nice Thorn-head vam too ...

swamp yankee likes this.
  4. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Thanks rick. I'm socal through and through. Even though I'm 34 and matured there's something about sublime that I've never been able to shake.

I have been flirting with changing my avatar to the 3rd pic down though.

jester3681 likes this.
  5. Rick Stachowski

I'm going to be 52 in dec. and I listen to their music too .
    My son 20 ....

6. charlietig

charlietig Well-Known Member

7. Rick Stachowski

I've work to hard in life to want to go back to 18 ...
    I like getting older, life gets easier as you get older .

8. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Youth and energy is trumped by age and treachery every time. I could whup the tar out of the guy I was 30 years ago. :)

If this were any Morgan but a 1921, I'd be alarmed by the character of the toning. This is the precise look of a coin which has been stripped by dippping and then allowed to retone too quickly. 1921's, though, went through a different planchet prep process and tone entirely differently. This is, believe it or not, "attractive" toning on a 1921. :)

I still worry about what PCGS will think of it, although I've owned 1921's with similar color in righteous slabs.

Cascade, you a member of SSDC yet? Among other things, you get access to the VAM Registry, which is comprehensive enough to make reasonable conclusions regarding the Condition Census of most of the major VAMs. I know 1B6 to be common for a Thornhead - at least 9 out of 10 that you see in the wild - but don't know what the top end looks like.

9. charlietig

charlietig Well-Known Member

I may have youth but my body feels old so no energy :)

10. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

I hear what your saying about the color dave. I think that's why I missed the obvious attribution when I was looking at it. I was scrutinizing the color and moving quick on the floor. When I saw the pullaway I knew it was good, then I looked for AT mixed with NT pullaway and didn't see it. Had a $55 tag on it, I said "take $50" as I didn't wanna lowball and haggle. He looked at it for 30 sec while I had my head down perusing his other coins then I hear "Sure"... Bam!

I am not yet a member of ssdc but it's been in the back of my mind for a few months now. I think I'll get off my butt and do it today after clening up the Halloween mess :)

11. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Another thing about long beach & ct... I saw this spunky redhead bouncing around her table from customer to customer and I knew she looked familiar but couldn't place her. I said, you look familiar but she couldn't place me and I couldn't place her. Then a few days later it hit me. She was a ct member and what I recognized was her avatar pic. Duh. For days I was wracking my memory but I was just going too far back lol.

12. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

Could have only been better if you did it blind folded. You have all the luck. :p
    I keep saying I need to join the SSDC as well. ;)

13. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I like the obverse well enough for a '21, but that reverse is tough to like.

14. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

For a quick pickup that is one good catch. May have to take you shopping with me.

15. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Can't argue with that, but I've seen them go for premiums at auction. I ain't judging. :)

Cascade and swamp yankee like this.
  16. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Lookie what was in my mailbox when I got home yesterday. Thanks Messy! :couchpotato:

I am going to enjoy having this one in my collection for a good while and then enjoy seeing the premium it will bring down the road when I'm ready to let her go. (If ever, lol)

I briefly thought of trying to do a "monster" Thornhead set but then I woke up and was brought back down to reality :wacky: 20151124_092640_opt.jpg 20151124_092730_opt.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted