1921-S Zerbe Proof Identification

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Kevin Farley, Sep 12, 2020.

1. Kevin Farley

Kevin Farley Active Member

Yeah i see what you're saying. Up close it has a lot of the same die scratches, breaks etc. That are still there though. I just know that doesn't necessarily make it the Zerbe

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Care to point some of them out? I'm not sure how you'd make out die scratches and breaks on a coin that's been this abused. I suspect you're seeing damage. With the number of marks on this coin, you could probably find something that looks "sort of like" any marker.

Kevin Farley likes this.
  4. Kevin Farley

I have more but these are the ones I have on my phone right now

Attached Files:

5. Kevin Farley

Here's a couple more

Attached Files:

6. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

The 21-S "Zerbe" proofs had bad detail, and mirrored, but dingy surfaces. Wayne Miller believes it is possible that a business strike die was pulled from production after already having worn from striking many coin, polished up, and used to strike the 24 documented proofs. There are no more than 5 known as of the early 80s when Miller wrote his book. He pictures a coin that sold in 1981 for $10K that Breen attributed as a proof in the 70s. The OP's coin does not have any characteristics of a Zerbe proof 21-S. The fields show heavy die wear. Note cracks at the date and deep flow line erosion between peripheral lettering and the rim (e.g., "horns" on the M in UNUM).

The "Red Book" of Morgan dollars doesn't mention these at all, other than to cast doubt on the existence of any branch mint proof Morgan in a couple paragraphs. Indeed, Breen being heavily involved in attributing these calls them all into question, even though it's known that some special strikes were made for 79-O, 83-O, 93-CC, and 21-S.

GeorgeM, Kevin Farley and ZoidMeister like this.
  7. Kevin Farley

Thanks for that. This coin has lines all throughout it, especially around and through all the letters on both sides, even though its a lot more prevalent on the reverse. Not expecting it to actually be one, I just learned about the Zerbe Proofs recently and took a deep dive into this one I already had and noticed it had a lot of similar characteristics and it made me curious

Draft saved Draft deleted