1921 Peace/Morgan Dollars

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Randy Abercrombie, Mar 4, 2022.

1. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I know the 1921 Peace dollars got a nice boost in value this last year. And the 21 Peace deserves it…… I was plundering my rolls of cull dollars and realized that I have a nice handful of 21 Morgans in my cull rolls. Did the 21 Morgans get a boost last year too?

Mr.Q, UncleScroge and Mr.MonkeySwag96 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. YoloBagels

YoloBagels Well-Known Member

It appears so. Most dealers seem to be paying just a tad more for 1921 morgans than common date peace dollars.

4. Mr.MonkeySwag96

Mr.MonkeySwag96 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I bought my 1921 Peace dollar for $380 nearly 6 years ago. I thought I overpaid a bit when I bought it. It’s crazy that these are currently retailing on eBay for $800+. I wonder when the market on 1921 Peace dollars will cool down.

PamR, longshot, Marsden and 3 others like this.
  5. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

The 1921 Peace and Morgan Dollars have both had boosts in asking and selling prices. Obviously, the 100th Anniversary had a lot to do with it. The 1921 Peace Dollar has always been a key date in the series. The 1921 Morgans in the past were looked at by some as just ultra common Morgans.

6. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I flipped my MS62 Peace dollar last year, figuring the price was likely peaking. We'll see.

I think I'll take some of my 1921 Morgans to the show today; if I can get decent money for them, I'm happy to let some of them go. I don't think I'll ever get past thinking of them as "the junk Morgans".

7. Randy Abercrombie

That’s me too. Exactly why I have some nice quality 21 Morgans in my cull rolls. If they are trading at a premium, I may have to let myself part with a few of them.

-jeffB and UncleScroge like this.
  8. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

I'm going to enjoy mine until the end. What my heirs do will no longer be an issue for me!

PamR and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  9. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

I was buried into this 1921 Peace Dollar that is in an NGC MS-65 holder. Now I could sell it for more than I paid. I'm probably stupid to keep it, but the collector in me has me holding on to it. It's got a mark on the neck that would keep it from crossing to a PCGS holder where the real money is. Still the cheek and fields are smooth.

1921 Peace Dol All.jpg

It goes nicely with last year's 2021 Peace Dollar.

2021 Peace Dollar O.jpg 2021 Peace Dollar R.jpg

Yes, I did buy one of these things because I wanted to see the Peace Dollar design as de Francisci intended it to look. The 2021 Morgan Dollars didn't interest me at all. I thought that the privy marks were a joke.

-jeffB and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  10. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

One of my first purchases were for 8 1921 Morgans and a 1921 D and a 1921S. I was able to purchase the 2021 D Morgan and the 2021 S Morgan. I had to buy a 2021 Peace from ebay. To complete my 100 anniversary of Morgans and the Peace, I will have to purchase the 2021 (P) Morgans. Since there are no 1921 O or 1921 CC, there can be no Centennial Matching coins for the 2021 O or 2021 CC. However, every coin show on TV are hawking for collectors to buy the 2021 sets at a huge price. Rick will let you purchase a set for upwards of $2,1++ dollars that you can split in two payments, but what happens if you can't make the second payment?
    Other coin shows have followed suit by allowing 2 payments.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  11. -jeffB

Unfortunately my Morgan guy was already packing up to go watch the game. Maybe next time.

12. Marsden

Marsden Well-Known Member

That's a good strike on that one. I'd find it difficult to part with, myself.

13. Randy Abercrombie

If there was anyone on earth that I would like to spend and afternoon visiting at their coin desk…. It would be @johnmilton

johnmilton likes this.
  14. Randy Abercrombie

Hey Jeff….. We’re you able to unload any of your 21 Morgans today?

15. -jeffB

See above. My guy was trying to get away to see the Battle of the Blues. It's kind of a big deal around here. (apparently) :rolleyes:

Edit: I did let go of a couple of rolls of silver quarters at 20.2xFV, and one white elephant that I'd wanted gone for a long time (an 1899-S $10 eagle wedged into a 14K "bezel" that weighed more than the coin, and was to my mind ugly as sin).

Last edited: Mar 5, 2022
  16. Mr.MonkeySwag96

Mr.MonkeySwag96 Well-Known Member

Thanks, I bought it from Witter Coins which explains the decent eye appeal. I’m not going to part with it anytime soon.

17. Mac McDonald

Mac McDonald Well-Known Member

That goes nicely with ANYTHING...wow...that's the nicest orig '21 I've ever seen.

Draft saved Draft deleted