1921 Peace Dollar-To Grade or Not to Grade

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Morpheus, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Morpheus

Morpheus Active Member

First of all, I want to say thanks to all the member here. I don't post a lot, but I do read daily, and the knowledge here is really second to none across the internet. Now, down to business.

Pretty much what the thread title says. I recently purchased a 1921 peace dollar, that to me, seems in pretty decent shape. However, I only recently started collecting these, and I do not know if this is worth being sent in to be graded. The patina you see on the coin is the actually patina, almost a deep, rich slate gray. I apologize for the quality of the pictures, it is the best I could take with my phone. Hoping the resolution stays when I upload the photos, and that that will help with your replies. So, should I send it in, and if so, what do you realistically think it might grade at?

Thanks again.

Obverse.jpg Reverse.jpg

Nathan401 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

AU 53-55. Decent strike for the date. Certify it? It might be easier to sell, but I probably wouldn't. Pics out of the holder would help us determine the surfaces a little better, and what marks are on the coin.

4. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

see above

5. Morpheus

Morpheus Active Member

Should have known better than to post pics in the holder. Here are pics out of the 2x2.

Obverse2.jpg Reverse2.jpg

6. TexAg

TexAg Well-Known Member

Nice pictures of a pretty coin! I like the strike and luster. Wear on Liberty's hair indicates AU53 to me. Given the low mintage of the 1921, I might be tempted to have it graded.

7. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Au 55 And one of the best struck 21 peace dollars I’ve seen in a long time. I’d have it graded but that’s me. I like it a lot

medjoy likes this.
  8. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Yes a very well struck example. AU55, Possibly a 58 if there aren't any hairlines.

9. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

I'd keep it raw, and mark it worthy of a premium with a strike like that.

10. Morpheus

Morpheus Active Member

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate all of the input and opinions.

11. Don P

Don P Active Member

AU Details.... Looks polished from the pics you have.

For a cheap way to get a grade and slabbed, ANACS is always a good option when they run specials.

12. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

I would say keep it raw or send it to ANACS if you wanted it in a large plastic case. Not worth the cost of PCGS or NGC in my opinion.

Don P likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted