1921 Morgan Prooflike

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by New Windsor Bill, May 4, 2016.

1. New Windsor Bill

New Windsor Bill Well-Known Member

Hello everyone. I was looking through my raw Morgans and Peace Dollars today to see which ones I am going to send in for grading. I have 2 1921 Morgans that are both very high mint state but one of them looks like glass. It has a mirror like finish all through out the coin. After looking in my new 2017 Mega Red Book it lists 3 extremely rare 1921 Morgans and I truly believe that this morgan is one of them. The first one is a Zerbe Proof and only 150-250 were minted. the book shows a value of $5,250 for MS-64DMPL/Proof 60 and up to $11000. for MS-65DMPL. The second one is a Chapman Proof with a mintage of 25-40. The value in the book is $35,000- $70,000. The 3rd one is a Zerbe Proof out of the San Fransisco Mint with a value up to $140,000. These rarities by the way were never mentioned in the regular edition Redbook.I really believe I hit the jackpot, what is everbodys opinions? Pictures will follow and thank you. IMGP0296.JPG

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

First glance.......not 'proof like'........

imrich and Nycmacman like this.
  4. Nycmacman

Nycmacman Active Member

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but none appear prooflike, it looks they would grade AU details as they appear to be heavily cleaned. Worth scrap value

Paddy54 and Paul M. like this.
  5. New Windsor Bill

The pictures do do it justice. This coin has a mirrored finish all through out.

6. green18

Ain't seein' it.......make me a believer. :)

micbraun likes this.
  7. Nycmacman

Nycmacman Active Member

Almost 100% sure those mirrors you are seeing are from harsh cleaning, which is indicative by the hairlines.

Paul M. likes this.
  8. New Windsor Bill

The coin in hand definitely does not look like it was cleaned. I have morgans with grades as high as MS66 and this looks better.

9. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

The "halos" around the devices prove this finish to be the result of heavy polishing by some miscreant since they were minted. It's best visible on the reverse. That reverse, for the record, is the D2 type, and both Chapman and Zerbe Proofs are of the D1 type.

10. noname

noname Well-Known Member

That is definitely cleaned, when I first started collecting, I made several mistakes, and cleaned several Morgans, that is how they ended up as. That coin has been harshly cleaned, worth melt, just a common 1921. No chance that is proof like sorry:(

Paul M. and Nycmacman like this.
  11. Nycmacman

Nycmacman Active Member

Bill, not to disagree but even if this was not cleaned, it wouldn't even grade ms60. We are not here to lie to you!

12. New Windsor Bill

I can't see it either in those pictures. I need to send it in to be graded but I got to pick the right grader as I am not a member of any of them. And according to the redbook there was only 1 chapman and 74 zerbes certified to date and I hope these grading companys would be able to recognize the variety.

13. green18

Fool and his money soon to be parted.........

joecoincollect, Nycmacman and noname like this.
  14. Nycmacman

Nycmacman Active Member

I would not recommend grading on either of these coins. Currently as they sit, even if they were uncleaned you would most likely end up with below 30. With grading fees at 60 plus a coin (non-economy),you are throwing money out the window. If you do not believe me please wait for others to comment as well

15. New Windsor Bill

I disagree, like I mentioned earlier the pictures do not do it any justice.

16. Nycmacman

Nycmacman Active Member

Well Green, We tried.

17. New Windsor Bill

I got this cheap, didn't loose to much.

18. noname

noname Well-Known Member

I think he meant about the money you're spending to get it graded.

19. New Windsor Bill

You are way off 30!

20. New Windsor Bill

This one is worth to get graded.

21. Nycmacman

Nycmacman Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted