1921 Morgan DDO DDR?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Mirza Beck, May 27, 2015.

1. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Yes, new varieties like the 1919-P DDO can be attributed by any number of experts, but new varieties of Morgan and Peace dollars can only be attributed by Leroy Van Allen.

Chris

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

I was using vam world as the expert, thats all . But if you like vams, its better to learn how to do it yourself, and thats where I can help, all the OP has to do is check the markers, it should be easy to do ... There is also 2 reverses which makes it much easier to do ....

4. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

It would be very hard to send a coin to VAMWorld, since it has no physical location and is not an organization that exists beyond a server at Wikispaces.

5. Rick Stachowski

heres a link from " Vam World " for " Variety Subbmissions " http://www.vamworld.com/Guidelines for Die Varieties let help this person to learn about vams, thats why they posted on " CoinTalk " .. Hopefully he'll come back with a update on what were tring to teach him .. Lets stay in " Focus " over here ............

Last edited: May 27, 2015
  6. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

That's not true, Chris. John can attribute it, messy desk and all. Just because the TPGs may only recognize the attributions of VAM and their palsy-walsys doesn't mean John can't be the first to attribute it as an error. I'd send it to him, as long as he's offering. I wouldn't even have to think about it.

7. messydesk

Just to clarify, Chris is right in that new varieties must go through Leroy Van Allen to be added to the official VAM listings. If I receive a coin that I feel is a new listing, you'll get a note from me describing how I think it is new in a fair amount of detail. This can then be forwarded to Leroy with the coin and he'll make a ruling. More often than not, when I recommend that a coin be sent to Leroy, it gets a new listing. Such coins are eligible for a "Discovery Coin" notation on the label, either by me or ANACS.

8. Rick Stachowski

A low percentage of the coins submitted in recent years have been new varieties. New varieties listed for 2008 were less than 2007 which was less than 2006. Most coins have been known varieties or had features pointed out that were too minor to list. It takes longer to actually prepare a new listing with a description & photos to be made than to attribute known varieties. Those submitting a new variety will still receive the description & photos(s). The examination fee will be $5 per coin for any coin submitted no matter if it turns out to be a known variety, features too minor to list or a new variety. Return postage is still also required. A limit is requested of a maximum of 10 coins per package or in one month, unless special permission is granted for a larger submittal, so as to not delay too much the examination of other packages.

Thanks for your understanding.

Leroy Van Allen
    PO Box 196
    Sidney, OH 45365

9. Rick Stachowski

He will look at all vams

10. Rick Stachowski

If you look at all the new vams for this years, its all about die scratches, thats it . Chances of this coin being a new vam, are slim to none ... Thats my opinion ...

11. cpm9ball

To be honest with you, I stopped collecting VAM's when they started attributing "Squiggles". Ridiculous!

Chris

Rick Stachowski likes this.
  12. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

:hilarious:

13. Rick Stachowski

That is crazy, I agree 100% Chris .. Thats why you keep the good one, and just put the others to the side ...

Last edited: May 27, 2015
  14. dcarr

dcarr Mint-Master

I think you misinterpret what VAM classifications are about. EVERY Morgan and Peace dollar is a VAM. The goal is to identify EVERY DIE PAIR. Some significant VAMs are rare, and are valued higher than corresponding "normal" coins. Most are not.

The "squiggles" are more about cataloging known die pairs than collecting all the varieties.

One of the main benefits of the VAM reference is in authenticating silver dollars - like my post in the recent thread about the 1889-CC and 1893-CC Morgans.

15. Rick Stachowski

I have a coin if your interested messydesk . Its a 1904 proof-like with know known vams showing for it either, if your interested let me know, if thats ok with Beck, don't mean to hijack your thread, theres doubling on both side too . Its a boring night on cointalk, should be fun ....

16. messydesk

Hey, I'll look at anything. Submission form is on my website. 1904 isn't one of the closely studied years, so we'll see what I come up with on your coin.

Rick Stachowski likes this.
  17. Rick Stachowski

That's a date then, I'll have to go to my dads and then to the bank to get it . This was one of my Grand-Fathers coins too, and yes its is a smoker . First image will be doubling on the inside leaves, with at least doubled on the " N " of United uni (united) doubling and inside leaves nightempler (2).jpg Next we have more doubling on the inside leaves and the " E & D " of United ted (united) doubling and inside leaves nightempler (2).jpg Next we have doubling on " STA " of States and " IN " of In God sta (states) doubling nightempler (2).jpg Next we have doubling on " TES " of States tes (states) doubling nightempler (2).jpg Not to sure on the " OF " of Of of doubling nightempler (2).jpg Next is doubling on " In God " of In God We Trust in god doubling nightempler (2).jpg Next we have doubling on " We Trust " of In God We Trust we trust doubling nightempler (2).jpg Heres the last image for the Reverse . Doubling on the inside of the leaves and at least the " E " of America doubling inside leaves nightempler (2).jpg I'll post the Obverse images next I'll have to start a new post for that

Last edited: May 28, 2015
  18. Rick Stachowski

Heres some images of the Obverse . First we have the first 3 stars on the left side are doubled lower star doubling 1th 2th 3th nightempler (2).jpg Next we have stars 4-5-6 on the left side doubled lower star doubling 4th 5th 6th nightempler (2).jpg Heres an image of the Date, lower doubling on that lower date doubling nightempler (2).jpg Not to sure on the " Eagles Head " for doubling doubling eagles head nightempler (3).jpg And last, images of the Obverse & Reverse A059 - 20130527_044343 (3)-horz.jpg Thats all of the images folks ......

19. cpm9ball

I'm surprised you haven't made a 1922 Morgan Squiggle. I'm sure there are a lot of collectors who would covet it.

Chris

20. Rick Stachowski

It looks like the 1904 has a C4 Reverse too .. I have no close up of it, but hopefully I'm right, I'll know more when I pick the coin up ...

21. messydesk

All 1904 dollar (all mints) have the C4 reverse.

Draft saved Draft deleted