1921 Missouri Commemorative, Fake or Real?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Mountain Man, Oct 19, 2021.

1. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

I bid on this coin, and won it, knowing it was a well circulated coin. Upon receiving it, my immediate gut feeling was that it is a fake. It just doesn't look right to me and knowing that this commemorative is a high priced item, I know it is counterfeited, but in this worn condition, I wouldn't expect it, and maybe that's why counterfeiters make them look worn.
    Anyway, it is 12.3 g and should be 12.5. It is 29.8 mm and should be 30.6, but taking account for wear, is that close enough to mint specs to be acceptable?
    It is NOT magnetic.
    I'd like members thoughts and please guess the grade. I think I know, but don't want to put any ideas in anyone's head.
    Thanks in advance.

1921_Missouri_obverse-removebg-preview.png 1921_Missouri_reverse__177.50-removebg-preview.png

Mr.Q, JeffC and potty dollar 1878 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Looks OK to me, but what do I know? Let's see what others say.

4. 1stSgt22

1stSgt22 I'm just me!

5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Looks fine to me.

6. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

I think it is real. Nice coin.

7. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

The dimensions of the coin would make me question its authenticity as well, if the reeding isnt worn completely off, it should scream fake.

Edit to add : Notice on the coinfacts coin the point on southeast star is pointing directly at the end of the tail on the designer's initials. On the OP's coin it is not and the other stars/points are not quite right as well.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
    Antonius Britannia likes this.
  8. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

9. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

The pictures make it look good, but if the diameter is really off by that much, it’s concerning.

I have read that the plain Missouri half dollars were mostly sold at the fair to non collectors, farmers, who slipped them into their overalls and didn’t preserve them very well. Therefore the fact that it’s worn is not a concern. The smaller diameter is.

10. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Out on a limb saying op's is 'cast'........

Heavymetal likes this.
  11. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

12. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

I like it MM. My guess MS-60 could be MS-62, in my opinion. Thanks and good luck. Personally, I can't see you bidding on a fake. You are to knowledgeable for that!

13. Mountain Man

14. Mountain Man

Thank you for the compliment, but in my old age, I find that I make silly mistakes and miss things, so one never knows for sure. LOL

Mr.Q likes this.
  15. Mountain Man

Anyone out there have an overlay that might help?

Draft saved Draft deleted