1921 High Relief Peace Dollar

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by HULLCOINS, Aug 31, 2020.

1. HULLCOINS

HULLCOINS Junior Member

Got halfway through listing this on Ebay and then had second doubts about it and am thinking of sending it in to NGC. Thoughts on the grade & advice whether to slab or not?

IMG_6774.jpg IMG_6775.jpg IMG_6776.jpg IMG_6777.jpg IMG_6778.jpg IMG_6779.jpg IMG_6780.jpg IMG_6781.jpg IMG_6782.jpg

ZoidMeister likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. manny9655

manny9655 Well-Known Member

I'd slab it. My guess would be MS-62 only due to the amount of bag marks on the obverse. The strike seems a bit better than on other mint state 1921's I've seen.

4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I'm more in the AU range. All 1921 Peace Dollars are high relief. This is a three figure coin. It may be worth the money to have it slabbed and you might want to reconsider selling her.

5. Dima

Dima Member

I would 100% slab it. The '21 high relief is difficult to grade (from your photos, I'd think low MS maybe..?) and can yield a nice premium even in EF-AU. All this of course provided yours hasn't been cleaned; I don't believe it has, but I'm terrible at telling that without seeing coin in hand...

ZoidMeister, GeorgeM and slackaction1 like this.
  6. GeorgeM

GeorgeM Well-Known Member

Seconded - this looks worth slabbing. Should give a nice return on the cost.

7. dirtyautobot

dirtyautobot New Member

that worth 100000 dollars hold onto it

8. dirtyautobot

dirtyautobot New Member

9. dirtyautobot

dirtyautobot New Member

dont send to ncg its like signing your soul over to the devil you wont get it it back
    trust me i sent my 1944 steel penny 5 years ago i havent seen it since

10. Mkman123

Mkman123 Well-Known Member

dirtyautobot you have no idea what your talking about. 100,000 dollars? Give me a break

Also PCGS and NGC are great. You had a 1944 steel penny? I highly doubt it. You sound like the many trolls that come on here saying some company stole their very rare rarities.

11. Jeffjay

Jeffjay Well-Known Member

Well by now you should have recieved the insurance you put on it when you shipped.

12. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I am not a proponent of slabbing for value. In this case, I absolutely would. It will maximize your return when you do list it.

johnmilton likes this.
  13. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

I think it will get an MS-62, and in that grade it’s worth the grading fee.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  14. rosethe

rosethe Junior Member

:hilarious:

ZoidMeister likes this.
  15. MasterVampire

MasterVampire Active Member

Have I seen this coin on the tv show Pawn Stars?

16. HULLCOINS

HULLCOINS Junior Member

Thanks for the feedback. I will send it in this month along with some other coins and let the group know the result!

rosethe likes this.
  17. serdogthehound

serdogthehound Well-Known Member

The one on Pawn Stars was a 1922 Proof. Estimated 10 known. Very special coin.

ZoidMeister likes this.
  18. ChristopherCollectsCoin

ChristopherCollectsCoin Active Member

Guys, I got the BILLION dollar GREEN penny. SERIOUS buyers. Only SERIOUS. 20200822_165408.jpg

19. HULLCOINS

HULLCOINS Junior Member

Just thought I'd share with the group that NGC just posted the grade and it came back MS64. It was a surprise for me, I guess they liked it more than I do. Thank you for the collective weigh-in everybody!

20. furham

furham Good Ole Boy

That's great. I would have called it MS63. Well worth the submission price.

HULLCOINS and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  21. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

The pastels are interesting, good instincts as to get it graded.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted