1921 Australia penny

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Alicia728, Jul 7, 2019.

1. Alicia728

Alicia728 Member

I've inherited a moderately sized collection of coins from all over the world. I'm curious if anyones willing to help me dig through them. I am currently photographing each coin front and back. It's been tons of fun, but I'm coin illiterate. I dont intend to sell...for now but I'm curious if I should invest in some insurance or a safety deposit box.
    Feel free to email as well edited

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2019
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

First of all.. DO NOT SHARE your e-mail. It is against the rules!

There is a World Coins forum here on CoinTalk. Post your coins there. Most world coins you can get 4 or 5 for $1.00 at the flea market.

Welcome to CoinTalk

R_rabbit likes this.
  4. Alicia728

Alicia728 Member

I'm just new and here to check things out. Pardon my enthusiasm.

Kentucky likes this.
  5. paddyman98

That is great that your are enthusiastic. And I'm only trying to help.

Again.. welcome to CoinTalk

Peace :angelic:

6. Alicia728

Alicia728 Member

I seem to be unable to edit or remove. Thank you for your help.I Apologize (third time now) if I misunderstood you. I figured I would be able learn more from a site like this than Wikipedia etc..

7. paddyman98

You will learn. And you will like CoinTalk. We will help you!

8. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Hi Alicia. Welcome to CoinTalk. Not sure if anyone told you yet do not clean yours coins because it will kill their value. Your Australia 1921 cent is Bronze, Has a mintage of 7,438,000. Your coins value in grade in very fine is $6.00. In extra fine it is valued at $40.00 . I look forward to seeing more of your world coins.

9. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

No need to apologize Alicia, you're just new here and simply didn't know. And it's not that it's against the rules per se, it's that we want to help our members protect themselves.

Ya see, this is a busy place, a popular website. And as such, at any given moment, 24/7/365, there are 40-50 bots accessing this forum that are archiving and/or harvesting information. Now some and probably even most of the bots are harmless, nothing more than search engine bots. But some of them are not harmless, some of them are specifically looking for personal information, stuff like email addresses, phones numbers, mailing addresses etc etc. And once gathered that info is then sold to 3rd parties, spammers for the most part.

So if you post that personal info, well, I think you get the message by now. In any event I removed your email address.

Alicia728, thomas mozzillo and JeffC like this.
  10. Nyatii

Nyatii I like running w/scissors. Makes me feel dangerous

I believe what he meant to say, is at any given moment there are 40-50 bots from outside sources attempting to harvest information.

11. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Correct, I pretty much assumed everybody knew that, but it's good to clarify and point it out.

12. Coin buyer

Coin buyer Member

At times it certainly appears that the (Help) a individual, usually totally green and brand new, is attempting to receive from long standing and presumably knowledgeable CT members, can, may, does come across a tad bit harsh at times? This has become extremely obvious by being a outsider looking within, simply by pure observation and listening!
    Nothing makes positive that a long time member is necessarily always correct in his/her opinions anymore then a complete new member automatically is incorrect in her/his questions or comments.
    This site IMO is 100% “Fantastic”, but with a batting average of 88% there is certainly room for needed and achievable improvements. It starts and ends with recognizing we are all human, no one has anything over anyone else and we are all here to help one another in any form we can. Makes no difference how long we’ve been around this site or any others. The day I’m not able to possibly learn from a brand new “newbie” is the day I no longer should allow myself to express my thoughts and feelings.
    Thanks to all the new comers for their questions, thanks to all the experienced regulars for the suggestive answers. And thanks to (All) of us to always prove we are just human, 100% equals.

Alicia728 likes this.
  13. frech001

frech001 New but Old

I've just completed selling a large world coin collection on eBay that spanned several centuries. I'd suggest you purchase a set of Krause Standard Catalog of World Coins for each century of the coins you've inherited. It will help you learn about the coins, their value and most importantly, a bit of history and geography for each coin. I recommend the DVD set, so you can search easier. Try to figure out how much each coin might have purchased in the year it was minted and you will grow to appreciate the knowledge of world history the coins can provide.

Alicia728, JeffC and Bob Evancho like this.
  14. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

Alicia728 likes this.
  15. littlehugger

littlehugger Active Member

True
    World coins often sell by the pound.
    But! Older coins might be silver. Especially the higher denominations. Even the lower value ones may have more metal value than face value.
    You can find books for world coin values. But they are huge and kind of expensive. If your coins are older, a used one would do fine.
    Also, you can always go on Ebay and check. Dang near everything is on there. Amazon too.
    Places like that will give you a real world idea of value. And, you can check prior sales results.
    I would research this. You can probably find useful info on over 80% of it. But if you do not, it may indicate either extremely common, or great rarity. But, if rare, its less likely to happen. But you never know.
    Enjoy your search.

Draft saved Draft deleted