1920 S double dye on the date? Is it a New discovery?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Boss4070, Nov 18, 2017.

1. Boss4070

Boss4070 Member

I have just found a 1920 S Lincoln wheat double dye on the date! Is it the only one ever found?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Boss4070

Boss4070 Member

Also could not find this in any of the books or on the internet!!!?? So what do you think folks?

4. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

It is not a Doubled die, as the smaller portion is too flat. One photo makes it look like mechanical doubling and the second like "Die deterioration" due to excessive wear. Either way there is no value added. Jim

paddyman98 likes this.
  5. Boss4070

Boss4070 Member

Well could not find another one like it at all, so has to have some value, even if it is. Strike double

6. Boss4070

Boss4070 Member

It is visible with out mag ovation, these pics just define it more, and there is some indication of doubling else where, just not as evident as the date and Mint mark

7. Boss4070

Boss4070 Member

Anyway thanks for you input, much a prieciated!

8. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

The mint mark is added to the die after it has been produced, so the chance of a doubled die and a doubled mintmark ( RPM) is exceedingly rare. You can go to coppercoins.com and look to see if you have a match, it is a search variety site.

9. Boss4070

Boss4070 Member

Thanks I will do that, all I know haven’t found another one like it! So anyway thank you again for the info!

10. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

There were 46,220,000 of the 1920S struck. Let us know when you have checked all of them.

Chris

PS. It looks like machine doubling to me, too!

PPS. Machine doubling is also called strike doubling, mechanical doubling and sometimes ejection doubling.

MontCollector likes this.
  11. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

This is Dye.. used for coloring material
    dye.jpg

This is a Coin Die.. used for striking coins
    die.jpg

eddiespin, 352sdeer, wxcoin and 4 others like this.
  12. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

The fact that you can't find another like it also points to strike doubling. Strike doubling may happen to only one single coin, whereas a doubled die would affect every coin struck by that die.

13. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

1,100,457.........1,100,458........1,100,459........1,100,460.......Can I take a break any time soon?

:(:(:(

14. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

It could be worth more if you convince someone that didn't know any better that it is a doubled die piece and get them to buy it as such. Not ethical, but possible.

Youngcoin likes this.
  15. Boss4070

Boss4070 Member

Well double dye is a coin that’s struck twice, not a dye that has two different designs that are the same, and either way as old as it is and the fact that no one else has one makes it as valuable as the eye of the beholder!

16. Boss4070

Boss4070 Member

Well double dye is a coin that’s struck twice, not a dye that has two different designs that are the same, and either way as old as it is and the fact that no one else has one makes it as valuable as the eye of the beholder!
    Could be!

17. Boss4070

Boss4070 Member

And still looking I saw one or two that had a double strike, but it was almost perfectly over the other, wasn’t off as much as this coin

18. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

Wrong, a doubled die is not a coin that is struck twice. It is struck from a die that has a doubled image from when the die is made. The error is in the die and all coins struck from that die show the doubling.

LuxUnit, fish4uinmd and paddyman98 like this.
  19. paddyman98

Wrong! It is not struck twice
    The design on the Die that was engraved is Doubled and that's why it's called a Doubled Die and not a Double Struck.
    Got it?

LuxUnit likes this.
  20. paddyman98

we answered at the same time ;)

l.cutler likes this.
  21. Boss4070

Boss4070 Member

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted