1920 Notgeld aachen ?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Steve66, Feb 28, 2015.

1. Steve66

Steve66 Coin People

I cant seem to find this one in the catalog.
    Can someone help me out?

IMG_8557.jpg IMG_8559.jpg

Thank You

jlblonde, chrsmat71 and jello like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

4. Steve66

Steve66 Coin People

5. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Maybe you should tell us then what you mean by saying "the catalog". :) Such notgeld pieces are usually not covered by catalogs such as the Krause ...

Christian

6. Steve66

Steve66 Coin People

Well that's helpful information.
    I didn't know that...
    Do you know why that is?
    Do you happen to know total mintage?

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  7. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Don't know about the mintage; according to this page, the coin is listed as #1.13 in Walter Funck's (German) catalog of notgeld coins, but I do not have that catalog. As you also see on that page, there are several different types and varieties ...

The "regular" catalogs, like Krause, will focus on coins that were/are issued by national governments. There may be exceptions, such as Mexican revolutionary coinage. But notgeld coins were, at least here in Germany, issued by maaany cities and other bodies. Look here for example. :) What I like about them: Such coins would often refer to local events or people, some are "neutral" while others are humorous (or even offensive), and hardly any piece was carefully discussed before it was made and issued. After all, this was notgeld = emergency money, made due to the lack of small change.

Side note: There are also lots of paper money issues, from the time after WW1 and before the hyperinflation, which have low denominations and often are quite colorful. Many of those, however, were issued because the cities knew that collectors were interested in them. That does not, or to a very limited extent, apply to notgeld coins ...

Christian

Steve66 likes this.
  8. Steve66

Steve66 Coin People

Thanks Christian, that helps a lot.

9. ottotornesi

ottotornesi Member

I take it you are referring to Reutergeld?

10. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Mostly, yes. Reutergeld (named after the writer Fritz Reuter, and issued mostly by NE German towns) is a sub-section of paper notgeld. But in the case of those "notes" the purpose - selling them as souvenirs or collectibles - was very obvious. :) Many other cities issued paper notgeld too, and it sometimes is hard to draw a strict dividing line - ersatz cash or souvenir?

Christian

Draft saved Draft deleted