1919S Cent

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Mary Neely, Dec 1, 2022.

1. Mary Neely

Mary Neely Active Member

Could someone tell me what is wrong with this coin? It has sort of a band through it.

Attached Files:

alurid likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

It's likely discolored from something that was resting on it, or that it was resting on. This doesn't look like an unevenness in the planchet, at least not to me.

4. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

maybe it was taped into a folder at one time. I came across a bunch of coins that were taped into a folder that left wide stripes on it.

Mountain Man and Kevin Mader like this.
  5. Amos 811

Amos 811 DisMember

need to know if its elevated at all, might be a strike thru error....it lookes softened in the band area.

6. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

I believe @Clawcoins has this diagnosed. That was my immediate thought when seeing this specimen. When the punchout in a folder cannot retain the coin, folks may resort to sticking tape on the back. And if that doesn't work, then a spot of tape across the front. Exposures over time are different as a result and once the liberated coin finds its way back into circulation, toning may gradually bring closer continuity, but perhaps never completely matching appearances. This looks like that to me.

7. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

It looks like it could be a planchet defect like a lamination or Improper Alloy Mix.

Mary Neely and Kevin Mader like this.
  8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It was taped to something at one time and the edges of the tape are the bands you see.

9. RogerC

RogerC Well-Known Member

Looks to me to be struck through a paper shred. Weakness at the highest points of the die. Not sure if tape that narrow would hold the coin in place.

Mary Neely likes this.
  10. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Have you tried to run a soft point (like a wooden tooth pick, or soft plastic point) over it to determine if the area is raised or depressed?
    I'd go with the environmental damage, i.e. tape, as others have mentioned.

Mary Neely likes this.
  11. Mary Neely

Mary Neely Active Member

No raised areas. I don’t know of any tape that small.

12. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Is it over the rim too? You can't tell by that picture.

13. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Microtape-Ultra is that small. It's specially made for small coins.

14. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

I wonder if I'm the only one on the planet that has ever used scissors to cut tape lengthwise to make the width less and mess it up.

If you look closely you may be able to see non-straight "edges" .. all depending upon what you consider a surface texture deviation.
    Black lines are all the same length.
    Purple is what I think is the movement over the coin.
    upload_2022-12-27_7-48-3.png

matter of fact if you really look you can see even more deviation in the "line"
    the top Red you can see a slight shift up over the back of the head/neck, then a shift down going from the back of the jaw to the front of the jaw
    The red/yellows you can see the surface anomaly go downwards.

Looks like a flat piece of something that may have been slightly ripped on one side if it was tape. Of course, unless you were that person doing this it's just speculation.
    upload_2022-12-27_7-53-14.png

but then maybe ... we're over analyzing it ?

I think I'll go back to throwing coins in dry ice, then boiling water to make lamination errors then throw them back into circulation. :)

Last edited: Dec 27, 2022
    Mary Neely likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted