1919 Twenty Centavos Filipinos

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by MB91, Nov 14, 2018.

1. MB91

MB91 Member

Can anyone tell me about this coin? 3631CFD5-F6E3-4F2D-BD29-CA8C2A6BEB6A.jpeg E59FD1FF-0814-480A-86FA-78E4B30AC5B0.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

4. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Here's the same page with yours highlighted.

It bears the "S" mintmark of San Francisco (see the S below the dot to the left of the date?)

The 1919-S 20 centavo had a relatively low mintage of 850,000, which is nice. Your coin only grades around VG8, though, so with a VF20 listing for $5.00 (the lowest price listed), yours is worth pretty much just the silver melt value ($1.38 as of this typing- see the page linked).

I suppose you could arguably say it's worth a buck and a half to two bucks on a good day. So it's not particularly valuable in monetary terms, but still a neat old coin. I like these Philippine-American issues of the US sovereignty (pre-commonwealth) era. They're neat coins. And the 20c pieces are neat because they do not correspond in size to US denominations like the others do.

With the other Philippine denominations, they correspond to the size of a US coin of the period:

Centavo= cent sized [oops, no- those were bigger than US small cents]
    5 centavos= nickel sized
    10 centavos= dime sized
    20 centavos= no US counterpart at the time
    50 centavos= half dollar sized
    Peso= silver dollar sized​

So the Philippine 20-centavo coin was its own creature, if you know what I'm saying.

I do not recall offhand if they're the same diameter as the then-obsolete US 20c pieces of the 1870s.

5. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

The centavo is more the size of a Canadian large cent. It's much larger than a U.S. cent. I put them in half dollar 2x2s.

6. MB91

MB91 Member

Thanks everyone. Not looking to sell, just a keepsake from a family member. :)

7. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

D'oh. I stand corrected, having forgotten that. :facepalm:

Been a while since I got any in bulk lots.

Draft saved Draft deleted