1919 S Lincoln cent

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Trailer king, Sep 22, 2019.

1. Trailer king

Trailer king Member

I found this nice 1919 S Lincoln small cent a few weeks ago. The obverse and the reverse both have no gouges or scratches, all lettering and numbers are legible and are complete. The A and M show a little wear but still are in complete form. The wheat stocks are also It has a very unique tone to it on both the front and back. And I don't think the toning is grease. Comments suggestions. Thanks In advance coin talk experts for the input and suggestion.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Upside down and sort of out of focus pictures aside, your cent looks to possibly be a "woodie" at least on the obverse. The AM on the reverse may be struck through grease. Hard to tell based on the picture provided though.

Azariana likes this.
  4. Trailer king

Trailer king Member

wp_ss_20190922_0002.png

Attached Files:

5. Trailer king

Trailer king Member

One should be able to at least double tap the screen to enlarge and move around the coin. Is that a little better.

6. furryfrog02

Besides still being upside down? :p
    I stand by my original post and say that it looks like a woody
    http://www.error-ref.com/improper-alloy-mix/
    I also stand by the reverse probably being struck through grease.

Inspector43 likes this.
  7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I agree with the frog.

Inspector43 likes this.
  8. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

index3.jpg

I don't see a problem! :hilarious:

9. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

10. MatrixMP-9

MatrixMP-9 Well-Known Member

Excellent find! I have a couple 1919P. I must have looked 5 times hoping to see a split on the "9". Mine are totally worn garbage....yours looks really great!!

11. Trailer king

Trailer king Member

Fog,
    That could be viewed by some as being just moments prior to the creation of man. lol

12. Trailer king

Trailer king Member

What's your thoughts on grade.

13. MatrixMP-9

I would have no clue. Others here are super experienced and good at it. I only say it looks good compared to the 1919s Ive found in my cigar boxes. The devices on mine are all worn down and the color is off the charts brown. Yours look "good" to me but that doesnt mean squat at all.

14. furryfrog02

I wouldn't be able to give you a good idea grade-wise based on the pictures provided. I do see a lot of wear on the high points of Abe's head and also doesn't seem to be much in the way of separation on the wheat stalks.
    You can check here and try to grade yourself:
    http://www.pcgs.com/PHOTOGRADE/

15. Islander80-83

16. MatrixMP-9

Hey King..check out one of mine. This is what you DONT want for a high grade. Lincoln should not be getting high after he has apparently been in a car accident. See how worn, stained and generally crappy this coin looks. I always like to look and see real defined wheat and a nice reddish color.

Attached Files:

17. furryfrog02

MatrixMP-9 and Islander80-83 like this.
  18. Islander80-83

I'll take a shot at it. G06 to VG08?? The obv. is obviously much better then the rev.

MatrixMP-9 likes this.
  19. MatrixMP-9

20. Trailer king

Trailer king Member

I don't think its listed as a key date. How ever due to mintage location, economy at the time and no error coins were known to have been release in 1919. Its my understanding that the 1919 penny in general was over looked. Not alot attention was on the coin year. Even the collection realm did not pay much attention to this year resulting in the vast majority stayed in circulation so finding one in high grade is rare. I'm not an expert yet but that's based on what I recall researching the coin. I think it may have some decent value if certified

21. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

F-VF at best overall. It isn't a variety nor rare in my experience, a certification would not be worth it at all with a Big 4 TPG. Enjoy its age. IMO, Jim

Draft saved Draft deleted