1919 s lincoln cent double die with horizontal mint mark

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by tattooguy7508, Mar 19, 2015.

1. tattooguy7508

tattooguy7508 New Member

I found this coin its in rough shape but it clearly has a horizontal s mint mark and doubling on the 19 of the date. I can find any info about this. i will post pics . if anyone knows anything about this coin feel free to chime in . thanks will post more pics and angles

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I see a skull above the date, but I don't see a horizontal "S". I don't see a doubled die, either.

Chris

4. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I am not aware of a 1919S horizontal mm, but I would guess that being as damaged as it is, that it's possible the mm was pushed over from damage.

5. tattooguy7508

tattooguy7508 New Member

ill post more. through a 40x loop its supper easy to see a horizontal s and a strong die break on the 19 but on the microscope its hard to see i should have grabed a 5led scope in stead of 8 lol

6. tattooguy7508

tattooguy7508 New Member

some more pics

Attached Files:

7. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Neither Variety Vista nor Wexler lists a doubled die for 1919. I see a possible die crack here which could have die chip attached. But doing some research for you I find no mention of a horizontal S. Although it's not impossible it's more likely improbable. And don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to burst your bubble on this. You can see more in hand than we can in any photos. Try this on the error forum as there are a couple of guys over there who specialize in Lincoln Cents.

8. tattooguy7508

tattooguy7508 New Member

thank you for the input, I found no info as well pertaining what im seeing and i agree it is improbable this is anything special at all. found it thought id post it

tommyc03 likes this.
  9. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Post anything you are not sure of. it's the only way to find out for sure. And we all like helping out.

10. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Post mint damage

11. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

From the picture it's almost impossible to tell exactly what you have. In my opinion, it's a damaged D.

Draft saved Draft deleted