1919 Mercury Dime DDO Discovery Piece

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by StrikeOutXXX, Feb 15, 2015.

1. ALAN DAVIS

ALAN DAVIS Old Sopemaker

I am so happy tonight, I found one in searching through 6 rolls of dimes I bought for bullion. It's identical to the pics shown. Mine is in good condition. Mine will never be for sale by me but has anyone seen a price chart for this error. I just wonder what it's worth. Thank you.....tomorrow is my birthday....what a gift!

Paddy54, jay4202472000 and KoinJester like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. KurtS

KurtS Die variety collector

I agree--this is a strong DDO to go unnoticed for so long, particularly after DDOs got popular. I'm surprised more haven't turned up since the discovery piece.

4. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

Pics or it didn't happen...

paddyman98 likes this.
  5. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

Congratulations!! My XF piece sold for $5250.00..

Get a picture up here as soon as you can. I know Jeff will be thrilled to add yours to the current population report.

silentnviolent likes this.
  6. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Congrats, and I'm happy for you.

But, I agree with the dangerous quiet one.

silentnviolent likes this.
  7. StrikeOutXXX

StrikeOutXXX Member

Great find Alan. If you can post pictures of it, I will add it to the census. Yours would be the 9th one known. As for prices, a few have started to sell, and although things will change as time goes on I'm sure, right now, it's looking something like this for pricing:

G = $3,000
    VG = $4,000
    F = $4,500
    VF = $5,000
    XF = $6,000

paddyman98 likes this.
  8. Searcher64

Searcher64 Member

Send it to Bill Fivaz and he will give you an expert opinion on the coin. He saw the first one gave his opinion on it. He lives in the Atlanta, Georgia area.

9. ALAN DAVIS

ALAN DAVIS Old Sopemaker

Here is the best pic I can seem to get....

10. ALAN DAVIS

ALAN DAVIS Old Sopemaker

How do you add a pic to your reply.....

11. jtlee321

Click on the "Upload a File" button.

12. ALAN DAVIS

ALAN DAVIS Old Sopemaker

The pic is my avatar, I cannot figure out how to add pic of my new 1919 dodo Mercury. image.jpg

paddyman98 likes this.
  13. jtlee321

That my friend is indeed the DDO. I'd love to see the complete obverse if possible.

14. ALAN DAVIS

ALAN DAVIS Old Sopemaker

I'll get the full obv ASAP. Probably tomorrow. Thanks for the confirmation, I knew it was. I could feel it in my bones....being a variety collector, it's a feeling you get when you get one...thanks again

15. StrikeOutXXX

StrikeOutXXX Member

Sure is! Congrats on the find. With just the small portion of the coin shown, looks like an AG-3 or maybe even FR-2. Can't wait for full coin photos.

16. StrikeOutXXX

StrikeOutXXX Member

Can you also post a full reverse photo as well. Will help with a rough grade for the census as well as look at the die state. Congrats Alan!

17. Jdiablo30

Jdiablo30 Well-Known Member

Man I have been on the hunt for one of these at every show I have been too. Looking for the one in MS!!!!

18. wmichael

wmichael Active Member

1919 and we just now notice? How ever many there were, we all know that by now most have just plain worn out and gone back to the melting pot.

19. ALAN DAVIS

ALAN DAVIS Old Sopemaker

Here's full obv I promised... image.jpg

20. jtlee321

I would send it in to ANACS for attribution. It will end up getting a details grade, but at least it will be attributed and certified. I think sending it to any other TPG would be throwing the extra money out the window. Congrats on the find. Keep looking everyone!!

21. jtlee321

I think this is a very, very rare variety. There is a large show coming up near where I live in about 2 weeks. I am planning on being there and hunting it hard.

Draft saved Draft deleted