1919 Buffalo MS60 with missing 19

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Qualitee, Feb 16, 2004.

1. Qualitee

Qualitee New Member

Hi, I just received an interesting Buffalo Nickel, 1919, is MS-60, but the first 19 in the date is missing. There is a little hollow indention where the 19 should be. It looks as is there was something on the die? Is this a common error..or is it even considered an error?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jody526

jody526 New Member

It sounds like you have described a filled die error.
    Dirt, grease, lint, metal filings and such, clog up the recesses in the die causing the coin to appear as though it's missing part of the design.
    It is a common error on many issues, but I really don't know how common on your particular coin.

Jody

4. National dealer

National dealer New Member

I would agree with Jody on this one. I have yet to run across a 1919, but I have seen many a Buffalo with errors like you describe. Who certified the coin? Does it mention the filled die on the holder? If you could post a pic, I know all would appreciate it. There are several here on this forum that are well versed in errors, so I will leave it up to them to assist you in classifying this particular coin.

5. laz

laz New Member

The answer seems correct,a filled die is one of the more common errors encountered today.However,considering the coin and it's condition,it would still be worth a premium.Nice find! ~ Jim

Draft saved Draft deleted