1918-s Standing Quarter to Grade

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by johnny54321, Jun 18, 2010.

1. johnny54321

johnny54321 aspiring numismatist

Grabbed off the bay for $43. What would you grade?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

XF-45/au-50......

4. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

I'd say AU-50

5. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I will go 50 full head (if there is such a designation for AU).

6. connor1

connor1 Collector

I'd say EF 45 FH

7. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I dunno, I'd say it's been heavily dipped and it has a chance of comning back harshly cleaned or altered surfaces.

The detail is there but the coin has been worked on.

8. RaceBannon

RaceBannon Member

I'd say XF 45. Nice buy!

9. panther

panther Junior Member

Looks AU-50.

10. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

It looks AU-something, but I can't tell from the photos if it's had a cleaning or not. If not, that's a very nice coin for the money.

11. HULLCOINS

HULLCOINS Junior Member

Cleaned so XF-45 Details

12. chip

chip Novice collector

That coin reminds me of one that a fellow coin talker smoked. It has that look.

13. Kevo

Kevo Junior Member

That is exactly what i was thinking. I am going to call it au 55. I see only very slight wear on the high points, but the luster is impaired. I think that coin was over dipped and then cigar toned to hide the damage done from a heavy dipping.

14. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

You wouldn't be blowin' smoke up my.......never mind.

15. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

If I am interpreting the images correctly then I do not think it has been cleaned. It appears to be an AU with surface crud on it, but has not been cleaned.

16. johnny54321

johnny54321 aspiring numismatist

Thanks for the input all. I agree with Tom in that I believe the coin is uncleaned. There are no hairlines and substantial luster remains. Possibly an old dip at one point, but the surfaces look pretty original.

With that said, I'm not confident it would make it into a problem free slab due to the hit(or impression) in the obverse field at 7 oclock(between the two stars). It's not too distracting, but it is definitely "there".

17. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

I'm not certain of that. I'd need more photos. The reverse especially seems wiped to me

18. kangayou

kangayou Junior Member

19. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I'm not trying to say that the coin has been wiped, brushed or scrubbed. But when a coin is over-dipped, the TPGs mark it as having been harshly cleaned or having altered surfaces. They have no other designation for it.

20. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

The different colors in the background of the images make me wonder what the true color of the coin really is. I would guess 45 or 50 on the grade.

21. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

That color is pretty common for pictures of SQL's. You can see comparisions of it here. Unfortunately, i had to sell all the SQL's because of my ex-wife.

Ruben

Draft saved Draft deleted