1918-D Walking Liberty Half - Bad Picture Guess The Grade

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by BigTee44, May 5, 2018.

1. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

I'm confident that what I'm seeing from the provided images is the basis of my opinion. We all know that in-hand analysis is superior so we are handicapped using pictures.

I'm sticking to my grade of AU55...Spark

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BigTee44

BigTee44 Well-Known Member

there is a video link in the same response as the picture. Link takes you to instagram

4. Spark1951

Viewed the video, which was really done well, but still come away with AU55. Be sure to let us know what it grades if and when you send it in...Spark

5. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

After watching the video, I see why you're saying AU. I especially noticed the difference in reflectivity on the eagle's leg.

I still don't know how to distinguish light-wear dullness from weak-strike dullness, and I really don't know how to second-guess the TPGs trying to second-guess the market. So, yeah, I'll be waiting for this one with bated breath.

Our big local/regional show is coming up next month. Maybe I should just take Friday off and spend the whole day there comparing slabbed AU58 and MS62 coins... but I'm afraid I'd just come away with a headache and more confusion.

BigTee44 likes this.
  6. BigTee44

Went out in the mail today. Should know in about 2-3 weeks

Spark1951 and CircCam like this.
  7. BigTee44

MS61 :cigar::cigar::cigar::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::greedy::greedy::greedy::greedy::greedy::greedy::greedy::greedy::greedy:

By far my best score ever!

8. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I always liked it when the teacher graded on a curve, or should I say AU slider in this case?

9. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

NGC ??

10. BigTee44

Yes

11. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Holy Mack!

CircCam and BigTee44 like this.
  12. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

While I really like that you had a good score, I completely disagree with the grade. If it is MS, it should be higher than 61, this seems like it was market graded and the coin is actually a nice AU.

13. Spark1951

I think there is more to the "strike weakness" that you pointed out. Among members, we collectively saw a range from xf40 to ms62. After the reveal of ms61, and NGC doing the honors, I see where you are coming from. I am reminded of the term "as struck"...so what we saw initially (from the bad pic) we inferred to be wear. What NGC's grade tells us is there was a weak strike or maybe weak die in the mix, confirming your earlier doubt.

What I take away from this is not to be so hasty in thinking I see wear, and to learn more about denominations with weak strike proclivities. Kudos to you -jeffB.

Great score by BigTee44...a real "steal". 55/$890 to a 61/$1,650.00!!! Great find, great story, great thread!...Spark

BigTee44 likes this.
  14. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

...or that NGC is market-grading a coin with clear wear, as others have suggested. I'm not ready to dismiss that possibility, either. (Not to take anything away from @BigTee44's well-spotted score; it's a spectacular coin, and a conditional rarity, period.)

I'm guessing that you, and several others on the thread, would be able to tell whether this is weak strike or wear if you had the coin in-hand. I still wouldn't be confident making that judgement, but I'm very interested in getting better at it!

BigTee44 and Spark1951 like this.
  15. BigTee44

I'm not going to pretend like I have any idea if it's wear or a weak strike as this is the first raw WLH I've ever bought and submitted.

I'm hoping to have it back in hand by weeks end and we'll see how it looks in the new holder.

I actually find it easier sometimes shooting coins in NGC plastic as it lights up easier and maybe will give a better idea of how it looks.

But I am curious as to where the XF40-AU55 camp thought they seen wear? I looked at a picture of the coins high points but don't see anything that would indicate a circulated coin.

16. Spark1951

From the "bad" pic originally I thought the left leg was showing wear from about the center down to the bottom of the skirt/gown. From the updated/ 2nd set of pics I thought I saw wear on the following locations:

The hair to the right of the eyebrow and below the ear.
    The cheek and jaw.
    The cowl of the gown ( top central part of the dress).
    The fold of the gown across the midsection...and,
    The left foot directly above the date.

Obviously I was wrong or NGC is making allowances for the die state, or as struck.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love this coin and admire your find. And I settled on au55. Some of the others went to xf, seeing more wear than I thought I did...hope this answers your question.

Spark

BigTee44 likes this.
  17. Searcher64

Searcher64 Member

18. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

From the first pic it looked worn and the luster was gone like a circulated coon so my guess of 45 looking at the second pics I’d say high au 55-58. At 61 I feel it market graded as I’ve seen ngc do many times before I’d rather have it at high au cac personally I had a barber dime that I had at 53/55 with nice toning that came back 62 from them. It was clearly not unc to me

BigTee44 likes this.
  19. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

20. BigTee44

Pictures just posted

3D1E68D5-AFCA-4972-AF43-1C0892168707.png 10C7F2B0-75B4-4E2A-AD3D-152ABBE1CACE.png

Nathan401 and C-B-D like this.
  21. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

Huge congrats is in order.

Huge congrats!

BigTee44 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted