1918 D Mercury Dime - help needed with grade

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Rosalita, Jun 4, 2020.

1. Rosalita

Rosalita Active Member

Hi guys,

I am new to coin collecting. Found this 1918 D mercury dime in my grandfather's collection. Would like to know what the grade would be and the value and whether I should consider sending this coin to a third party grader?

Thanks very much. 1918 D Dime Obverse1.jpg 1918D Dime Reverse2a.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GH#75

GH#75 Trying to get 8 hours of sleep in 4. . .

Not worth sending in for grading, but worth keeping. The grade is something like F-12 and worth a couple dollars.

Inspector43 likes this.
  4. toned_morgan

toned_morgan Toning Lover

I agree with @GH#75, an I think the grade is more around VF or even XF. As I always say, if this is something you plan on reselling for profit, don't bother grading it. However, if this is something you plan on conserving to remember your grandpa and to pass on to the rest of the family, then go ahead and spend a bit of money to grade it.

5. GH#75

6. GH#75

I'm thinking VF-20

7. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis Helpful? Click *Best Answer*! Supporter

Even XF? I have to disagree. I think here we would have a VF-20. XF is way too high for a coin with an ugly surface and detail-less column just left of "E. Pluribus"

But to make a post contributing to the OP, no, this is not a coin to get graded, but it sure is a cool find. Hopefully, you find yourself enjoying the posts here and become a member of our hobby.

I came across foreign coins in circulation frequently as a little one, like Canada because I am very close to there. Eventually, my grandfather gave me some silver he had accumulated over the years, including a mercury dime just like yours. I fell in love with coins!

I hope this gives you momentum so you can jump right onto this site and contribute.

Rosalita likes this.
  8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Not worth grading. It's a keeper though.

9. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Maybe an F15 or a tad higher but not much. It's a keeper as it may have sentimental value! :D

Rosalita likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted