1918 D Lincoln Cent

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by MrOrange1970, Oct 25, 2016.

1. MrOrange1970

MrOrange1970 Active Member

So I am reading the book (well mostly), before buying the coin. One thing that I've read about often is the poor striking of most 1918 and 1925 Denver minted cents. I have noticed it at the coin shows I've attended as well as online listings.
    I then ran across two "problem " coins on eBay that look to have marvelous strikes with good detail on the obverse and reverse. For 12 bucks shipped, I couldn't pass. Question for you folks is, do you think a acetone bath and verdicare will work on the left coin? As for the coin on the right side, from the picture I don't see the problem. Light cleaning maybe? As always your opinions are most appreciated. Screenshot_20161025-140806~2.png Screenshot_20161025-140812~2.png Screenshot_20161025-140806~2.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

It is too far gone for anything to "work". However, you should use verdicare on it to keep it from getting any worse. It might do something to that red blob, but that green on the reverse has eaten into the coin. Even removing all the green will do nothing more than leave holes.

4. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

The coin on the left needs to be "Professionally striped" and recolored NATURALLY. In about a month it can be very presentable. Unless you know a friend, or coin doc who does charity work it is not worth having it done.

5. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

I've the feeling that's already happened on the obverse, above IN GOD. That spot may have convinced the previous owner to give up on the reverse.

6. MrOrange1970

MrOrange1970 Active Member

Disappointing but not surprising. I don't have enough experience with verdigris to tell from a picture what is deep vs. light surface damage. It looks so innocuous to my untrained eye!
    Okay so what about the second coin? What's the problem with this one? Not saying it defensively, but as a question. Trying to determine if all 12 of my dollars is down the toilet...or if I can have my Starbucks the rest of the week. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted