1918/7-D Overdate Buffalo Nickel? Please Advise!

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by InGodWeTrustCoins, May 1, 2016.

1. What do you guys/gals think?

IMG_0047.JPG IMG_0062.JPG IMG_0101.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

I think, I'm not convinced of the over date, but could be convinced he is a cancer survivor.

4. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

Don't think it's a over date. Kinda looks worn & somebody tried something with it

5. The top of the 8 looks flat...

6. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

It's not. The inside loops of the 8 would show the tell tale pick up. The loop openings would have a very flat edge and look very offset from each other. The loop openings on yours are like they should be, centered over each other. Compare to the photo below.

1918 over 7.png

7. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Assuming that there was only one reverse die (which seems to be the case from a quick check at Heritage), your coin is not the 1918/7. Here is the 1918/7 reverse MM.

upload_2016-5-1_0-36-17.png

8. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

Thanks @jtlee321, the obverse photo is very helpful. I'm not sure, though, what you have indicated with the reverse mint mark: is it that the OP coin shows a slight tilt to the right and the correct 18/17 shows a slight tilt to the left?

Steve

9. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

There a few diagnostics for these coins; however most are missing due to wear on your coin. It does look like the bottom hole in the "8" is the correct shape.

So I suggest this. Send the coin in to a TPGS ONLY if there is a very slight rotation of the dies. That is one of the diagnostics for these nickels.

If this turns out to be genuine, it appears to have a die break over the date and across the braid. I have never seen this on a genuine overdate. While one diagnostic on some of these is a die break into the cheek from the braid, it is higher on the genuine (in a worn area of your coin so no help).

PS: If I saw this coin for sale, I would jump on it RAW!

EDIT: :facepalm: BUT NOT if being sold as an overdate unless it were certified!

Hi Steve!:watching:

Last edited: May 1, 2016
  10. fish4uinmd

fish4uinmd Well-Known Member

11. I have already bought it.

12. fish4uinmd

fish4uinmd Well-Known Member

13. Insider

Is it rotated?

14. anderspud

anderspud Active Member

I'm one of the ignorant who think the Indian isn't wearing any date.

15. Insider

Most likely genuine if only slight rotation. Worth having graded!

16. Do you know what the variety number is for this coin (if it is a 1918/7-D)?

Thanks in advance

17. I sent it off to ANACS! It should get there Friday!

18. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

good luck, they are great with varieties.

19. Mickey in PDX

Mickey in PDX Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted