1918 & 1926 Great Britain 1/2 Crown

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by mrbreeze, Jul 5, 2017.

1. mrbreeze

mrbreeze Well-Known Member

I usually only get these in "heavily used" condition so I have never had a 1900s 1/2 Crown in a "grade worthy" condition. If you would, please offer your opinion on grade and/or value.

1918 Great Britain 1/2 Crown IMG_8266.jpg IMG_8270.jpg 1926 Great Britain 1/2 Crown IMG_8272.jpg IMG_8274.jpg

lordmarcovan, Theodosius and mackat like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Both very nice examples of a handsome design.

The 1918 looks like it is probably Mint State. The 1926 is likely a "slider" (a high-end AU), I'm thinking. But I'm looking at both on a small screen at the moment.

My 1916 definitely won't grade. ;)

4. lordmarcovan

Noting the limitations of my viewing ability at the moment, I would venture to guess MS62 on the 1918. Maybe MS63 on a very good day, though I think the hairline above George's ear would almost certainly hold it down. Then again, speaking of his ear, there is some flatness there that almost looks like rub, though whether that is a weak strike or slight friction, I can't tell. If the latter, then this piece too is a "slider" AU+, though it has the eye appeal and luster of a Mint State coin.

I would venture a grade of AU55-58 on the 1926 coin, though it too hovers on that tricky threshold between Choice AU and Mint State.

Regardless of technical grades, they're both attractive coins.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
    mrbreeze likes this.
  5. Michael More

Michael More New Member

Hi I am Michael, a British expat living in California.
    IMHO the 1918 has a typical weakly struck obverse and a very sharp reverse (note the belt buckle on both coins) I'd give it a 62 the (Modified Effigy) 1926 might be a 60 as well struck throughout.

mrbreeze likes this.
  6. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

You guys grade more generously than I do. At first I was going to say AU55 for each of them, then scaled up a bit on the 1918 to a 58. I only have one George V half crown that is better, a PR63. It shows what the hair and ear line can be. By the way, the 1918 looks to have a bit of doubled die obverse on some of the lettering. 1911 GB 1 cr PR obv.JPG 1911 GB 1 cr PR rev.JPG

lordmarcovan likes this.
  7. mrbreeze

mrbreeze Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    AU58

[​IMG]
    MS61

lordmarcovan and H8_modern like this.
  8. lordmarcovan

Nice. I think the grades are realistic. The coins look great in the TrueViews.

Draft saved Draft deleted