1918 $1 Green Eagle

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Cazador, Aug 8, 2022.

1. Cazador

Cazador Supporter! Supporter

My wife bought this note for me as a anniversary gift. I love it and am excited too have it added to my collection. So i was wondering why this bill did not have an EPQ designation? Thanks looking forward for your reply’s. upload_2022-8-8_20-58-53.jpeg upload_2022-8-8_20-58-53.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

If only every wife could be like that :):).

Hommer and Cazador like this.
  4. Dean 295

Dean 295 D.O.M.

Look, your wife took her time, energy, and money let it go . It looks real nice. Oh make sure you thank her.

Cazador likes this.
  5. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Nice note.
    The lack of embossing suggests it may have been pressed.

Cazador likes this.
  6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Very nice note and what a wonderful wife to buy that for you. Let it go and be pleased with it but as @SteveInTampa said, it looks pressed.

Cazador likes this.
  7. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

Can't help you with the EPQ designation, but I can tell you you've got a very thoughtful wife. Happy anniversary.

Oh, that's a beautiful note.

Cazador likes this.
  8. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

Nice note. Without having it in-hand, pretty hard to tell what the paper quality is like. Have you contacted PMG for an answer?

9. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Heres the definition, straight from the horses mouth...LOL

PMG uses the designation Exceptional Paper Quality (EPQ) for notes that, in the opinion of PMG graders, are original. By original, we mean that a note has not been physically, chemically, or materially processed to lend the appearance of a higher grade. PMG graders examine the embossing, inks, and overall integrity of each note to make the determination whether it will qualify for EPQ. Notes exhibiting normal wear-and-tear for their respective grades are eligible; normal wear may include factors affecting grade such as counting marks and folds. Notes receiving the EPQ designation must furthermore be unrestored. A restored note has had non-original material added to bring its appearance to a known or assumed state.

For currency to grade Gem Uncirculated 65 or higher, it must also receive the EPQ designation. No note meeting PMG’s standards for the Gem Uncirculated grade can have had its appearance altered to achieve this grade, and thus the highest grade assigned by PMG without the EPQ designation is Choice Uncirculated 64.

As of January 2020, the minimum grade for which a note becomes eligible for the EPQ designation is Very Fine 20.

A note receiving the EPQ designation will have the letters ‘EPQ’ appearing to the right of the grade on the PMG label. Prior to mid-November 2006, the words, “Exceptional Paper Quality” appeared on the back of the PMG label to signify this designation. Notes graded prior to this change may be submitted for ReHolder Service to receive this new label format for a $12 fee.

PMG has never graded a note Gem Uncirculated 65 or higher that will not qualify for the EPQ designation. So all notes graded Gem Uncirculated 65 and above, regardless of their date of certification, will automatically qualify for the EPQ designation and may be submitted for the ReHolder Service for the $12 fee.

The EPQ designation was not in regular use before November 2005; notes graded before this date may be re-submitted for grading and encapsulation to see if they qualify for the EPQ designation.

Cazador likes this.
  10. Collecting Nut

No problem as I have this one. Worth every bit to get the EPQ on this 1773 Colonial Note.
    264E042F-A673-403C-89A2-8E2B8D740737.jpeg 8AC6FD85-63D2-4AB6-938C-10FAD133621D.jpeg 30319B4B-193D-484E-9BD5-D2584A2E576C.jpeg 9DFDBBF1-1C72-4D03-B65D-69FCACADFD90.jpeg

11. Cazador

Cazador Supporter! Supporter

Thank you for sharing all that great information

Collecting Nut likes this.
  12. Collecting Nut

You’re welcome

Draft saved Draft deleted